Sonos Version 8.2 Now Available

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • Community Manager
  • 9396 replies

Pandora Straight to Sonos, My Sonos Changes, Snooze and Alarm Notifications

With 8.2, we’re bringing the ultimate personalized listening experience to your home with the new Pandora for Sonos. It’s now even easier to discover new music with stations tuned to your taste with three ways to play Pandora on Sonos: Play directly from the Pandora app on Android or iOS to Sonos, through the Sonos app, or with your voice by asking Alexa.

Music started from the Pandora app on Sonos can even be changed using Alexa or your Sonos app. If you change the station that’s on using Alexa, it’ll take over from the Pandora app, so you’d then be using Sonos and Alexa to control what’s on, until you restart the connection using the Pandora app.

You can use the Pandora app to play straight to Sonos with all levels of Pandora subscriptions, including Free. Upgrade to Pandora Premium and get on-demand access to all your music, now available on Sonos.

Using Pandora Premium you can listen to whole albums, create your own playlists and go straight to the songs you love. Alexa can start Pandora stations and control basic playback, (skip, pause, volume, etc) but isn’t able to start tracks, albums, or playlists from Pandora Premium.

Pandora on Sonos is getting improvements and changes as well. For more details, take a look here.

Still have any questions about Pandora? Feel free to ask in this thread.

My Sonos and App Changes
We’ve been working to improve the Sonos app based on your feedback. Some of the first changes to the app are now in. The My Sonos screen now displays your favorites differently, in a better managed space. There’s a list view for your Sonos, showing them in chunks you can slide between. Playlists have been merged together within My Sonos so your Sonos playlists and favorited service playlists are all put in the same place now. My Sonos now has a limit of 70 items, up from 40.

Also, we’ve added some animation to the Now Playing page to make it a bit easier to see there’s more below it. That includes adding a bar at the top you can press to pull the page down.

We’re continuing to work on the Sonos app and would love your suggestions if you’d like to share. Please post your suggestions in this board, we’ll move comments over that are made here to keep this thread clear.

Alarm Notification and Snooze
The long requested feature, Alarm Snooze, has now been added to your Sonos system. To set up a Snooze notification, create or edit one of your Alarms under More > Alarms. At the bottom of the menu, you can pick Settings > Snooze Notification.

With this enabled, the Sonos app on the device you’re using will display a notification when your alarm goes off. The display will allow you to dismiss the alarm or snooze it for a certain amount of time. Read more about using the new Alarm features here.

Having trouble after the update?
Any trouble with missing players or audio cutting out after an update could be caused by a number of things, but a great place to start is with rebooting your router followed by your Sonos players. If you’re still having trouble, we’re happy to help. Feel free to give us a call on our support line. You can also make a new post or join a conversation here on the community. We’ll be moving troubleshooting comments made on this post to new threads to keep things clean.

41 replies

For the first time I am foxed by an app. Or there is something wrong with just mine.

Playlist management is a mess. I am seeing the same playlist twice in the main list. And those that are not favourites in My Sonos.

And no one else has a problem with this? I have many!
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
@Kumar, are the duplicated playlists ones that are saved as Favorite from a service and also saved as a Sonos Playlist?
Ryan, I solved the duplication by editing to delete one of the duplicates; and no, one of these cases was a Sonos Playlist. But My Sonos continues to show playlists not selected as favourites as well, defeating the purpose.
And the App Store does not have the update for the iOS version, but since the old still works with the updated players, I shall hold off from updating it.
Thank heavens the updated Mac controller is unchanged.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Glad you got it resolved. The App Store should have it now, it was a bit slow going out but I think it's in most regions by now.
Kumar wrote:

But My Sonos continues to show playlists not selected as favourites as well, defeating the purpose.

No, Ryan, the major issue still persists.

And I don't plan to get the iOS updated from 8.1.1, till I understand what is happening with 8.2.
Ryan S wrote:

The My Sonos screen now displays your favorites differently, in a better managed space. There’s a list view for your Sonos, showing them in chunks you can slide between. Playlists have been merged together within My Sonos so your Sonos playlists and favorited service playlists are all put in the same place now.

IMO, this has all gone wrong. The playlist merging has led effectively to the elimination of the Favourites feature for these. And list view is there for Stations with the smaller icons, but the favourites bit works still. The playlists are still with the large icons, not as a list.
Since I had no complaints about 8.1.1, I am now entitled to complain about a loss of a useful feature. And wonder why there is no clamour at all about this - IMO again, V8 changes were a non issue.
And, as I said, 8.1.1. is still available to me and works on iOS with Sonos units on 8.2. It is a good thing that it was not available earlier in the App Store.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
My Sonos > Playlists should be showing you all of your Sonos Playlists and any playlist from a service that you have previously "favorited" or used the new "add to My Sonos". They get merged together into the one view. So if you have a playlist that was Favorited and that you created a Sonos Playlist for, it would duplicate, but you shouldn't see more copies.

If you think you're seeing something different, or wrong, I'd love to take a closer look. Let's start a new thread for that though, so if you are, why don't you make a new thread and put in some screenshots to take a look at. I can move these posts over to it.

Edit: I didn't see your last couple posts before mine went through. I think I understand what you're saying now. Playlist Favorites were merged with Sonos Playlists and you'd like to see them separated out. Sound correct?
Fine; I always wanted to start one that says app is broken! Look out for that in the title:-).
Badge
Well, I have a number of issues with this new release. Firstly, I hadn't intended updating at all after the disaster of V8 of the controller, but the app store specifically said that Pandora for Australia streaming directly from the Pandora app. I was a little surprised at this as Pandora stopped being available for Australia & NZ a few months ago but thought it might be a deal Sonos had arranged.

Stupid me, no Pandora of course and a bunch of other issues inflicted on me instead. The worst is the playing level. I thought initially it was just me, I played several albums I know very well and everything seemed quieter, but then I tried playing an alarm that I have setup for every day, and sure enough, can almost not hear the sound at 30%. I have a mix of players, ZP80s, ZP120s, Play5 and Play1s. They all suffer from the reduced volume.

Looking at the app, the MySonos area is a mess, the notion of horizontal scrolling in a section is terrible, (it's the worst thing about the Netflix app as well), playlists seem to be all over the place and frankly I don't even want to try to understand how the app is supposed to work now.

Sonos used to be a joy to use, now I'd rather not use it at all
Ryan S wrote:

My Sonos > Playlists should be showing you all of your Sonos Playlists and any playlist from a service that you have previously "favorited" or used the new "add to My Sonos". They get merged together into the one view. So if you have a playlist that was Favorited and that you created a Sonos Playlist for, it would duplicate, but you shouldn't see more copies.

If you think you're seeing something different, or wrong, I'd love to take a closer look. Let's start a new thread for that though, so if you are, why don't you make a new thread and put in some screenshots to take a look at. I can move these posts over to it.

Edit: I didn't see your last couple posts before mine went through. I think I understand what you're saying now. Playlist Favorites were merged with Sonos Playlists and you'd like to see them separated out. Sound correct?

I am with Kumar here. I thought the handling of Playlists in v8.0/8.1 was a bit weird, but this is weirder.

There is such a simple solution here. Whatever the theoretical argument that Sonos Playlists are not truly a source, from a usability point of view it would be better if Sonos Playlists (i.e. all Sonos playlists) was on the Browse (sources) screen. Then the Playlists in My Sonos could be favourite playlists, alongside other types of favourite.

You could then even rename My Sonos to....er .... 'Favourites'.
John B wrote:

You could then even rename My Sonos to....er .... 'Favourites'.

LOL. And bring the number limit there back down so that the word Favourites still means something - not 70 or even 40 favourites, that is ridiculous. Though just this doesn't matter to me because I discipline myself to leave it as a useful feature by using a very small part of that number.
But taking it away completely, the way it has been for playlists, made me, for the first time with Sonos, go WTF and that at the start of my day.
It appears to me that all the noise and heat made by people here over V8 panicked Sonos into doing SOMETHING fast. With the inevitable accompanying egg on the face as I see it.
My iOS controller, thankfully allowed to remain at 8.1.1. by the happy delay in the app store in pushing out 8.2, is much better.
The other unintended but confusing and even hilarious consequence of this mad rush is that when people complain about the new UI, you won't quickly know which one they are talking about. Take my case, I am fine with V8 upto 8.1.1 and unhappy with 8.2. Multiply this kind of thing by a hundred posters and I can see the noise and confusion a level higher now. Glory days.

And note that my issue with 8.2 isn't going to go away by a muscle memory reboot; a useful feature, in use by me since 2011, has been deleted overnight. Again, my fervent plea to not *&^% up the Mac/PC controllers. No matter now severe the temptation. I can still use mine with ease to select/deselect favourites and then use the feature for playlist management on 8.1.1 as well as on the Mac.
I wanted to add I think you guys missed that Pandora has pulled out of Australia and New Zealand since August. So the update notes are irrelevant here.
Returning to the topic of playlists...

The weirdness in 8.0 was that My Sonos had a category for all Sonos Playlists and another for favourite playlists. Among other things this meant that to add a Sonos Playlist to favourites you had to choose 'Add to My Sonos', which was weird when you were already in My Sonos.

The obvious solution was to move Sonos Playlists to the Browse screen and just leave favourite playlists in My Sonos, as I suggested then and now.

Instead, so as to get rid of the double category in My Sonos, favourite playlists from other sources have been chucked in with all Sonos Playlists, completely negating the point of having Favourites.

It seems to me that the whole idea of putting Favourites and all playlists in the same place is ill-conceived and destined to produce weirdness of some form or other.
Userlevel 2
Badge
In mysonos, why are radio stations now in list view but playlists and songs in horizontal view? Shouldn't they all be the same (list view imo)

And agreed on the merging of playlists, I think Johns idea is the right one. Move sonos playlists to browse, rename mysonos to favourites then only show favourites in that section.

It's amazing how far my opinion of sonos has fallen in the last 6 months. It feels like nothing is tested or properly thought out anymore.
Kumar wrote:

For the first time I am foxed by an app. Or there is something wrong with just mine

Yep, I feel the same way - navigating through the new interface is unintuitive and frustrating. I usually mix up changing room and grouping zones, but there are so many issues with the new experience on Android.
Who is doing your danish translations? Common mistake among the danes are the word "Speaker" in danish - which correctly is speed : "Højttaler" (with 2 t's) - common mistake is to type it with only 1't (Højtaler). In the update process it says "Opdaterer højtaler" .... a bit embarrasing that a large company like Sonos can't even get the spelling right.
You can do better.
flyveleder wrote:

Who is doing your danish translations? Common mistake among the danes are the word "Speaker" in danish - which correctly is speed : "Højttaler" (with 2 t's) - common mistake is to type it with only 1't (Højtaler). In the update process it says "Opdaterer højtaler" .... a bit embarrasing that a large company like Sonos can't even get the spelling right.
You can do better.

Well,
According to the official Danish dictionary, the word can be spelled in both ways.

https://dsn.dk/?retskriv=h%C3%B8jtaler&ae=0
Haha, nice Gert; I guess they have added "Højtaler" since no one were able to spell it correct anyway. God, I sometimes hate how they just adapt.
Btw, "Højtaler" makes no sense when you think of it. Højttaler (split into the two words "Højt" and "Taler") means exactly "Loudspeaker" - where as "Højtaler" (split into Høj and Taler) means "Tallspeaker".

So - MOST correct IS still "Højttaler" with 2 t's, regardless of the dictionary ;-)
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

1sidk and chrisss, our apologies for the confusion, somehow the wrong text was included in the app listing for Australia. Pandora has withdrawn from Australia for now, and we don't have any special deals or information regarding changes there. We're working to get the text corrected already.

gtrance wrote:

In mysonos, why are radio stations now in list view but playlists and songs in horizontal view? Shouldn't they all be the same (list view imo)

And agreed on the merging of playlists, I think Johns idea is the right one. Move sonos playlists to browse, rename mysonos to favourites then only show favourites in that section.

There's still some work to be done to get My Sonos to the place where everyone is happy. We're collecting as much feedback as possible and getting it to the team. My Sonos is basically the evolution of Favorites. It's the place to go to play your usual music instead of searching through Browse.

flyveleder wrote:

Haha, nice Gert; I guess they have added "Højtaler" since no one were able to spell it correct anyway. God, I sometimes hate how they just adapt.
Btw, "Højtaler" makes no sense when you think of it. Højttaler (split into the two words "Højt" and "Taler") means exactly "Loudspeaker" - where as "Højtaler" (split into Høj and Taler) means "Tallspeaker".

So - MOST correct IS still "Højttaler" with 2 t's, regardless of the dictionary ;-)

I'll pass this along to the Danish team. Thanks for the callout.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Following the release of 8.2, my current thoughts...

The smaller icons for Stations listed in My Sonos is a minor improvement. I've now trimmed my favourite stations back to the top 16, so they all now display without having to click the crappy "See All" button. I've also deleted most of my playlists, leaving just two that again display without having to use "See All". It's a work around for now and I'd still prefer to go back to the old 7.x App.

I quite like the suggestion someone made of moving Playlists to a section under Browse, and then renaming My Sonos to Favourites and configure it as single horizontal list. At the end of the day a list of FAVOURITES just needs to be a Top 30 and is much quicker to access as a single horizontal list.

The App colour scheme still needs a darker theme and the toolbar at the bottom needs to display all the time.

Finally, with so much wrong with the current layout, design and functionality, I would suggest kicking off a parallel project that re-gathers all the requirements and suggestions and aims to create a new "Super Deluxe" Controller App, one that stands out from the competition. The design team need to look back at the original CR200 and the Mac/Windows desktop controllers as they functioned as good Sonos branded functional controllers. I think its key to success is reverting back to having less layers with all the main functions in view on the main screen. It should be intuitive and a pleasure to use. It is NOT an App in which you are consuming media, it is an App to CONTROL consuming media on an external hardware system, so it really doesn't need the layers and controls all hidden away in order to make the interface "look clean" and mimic other Apps trends.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
gtrance wrote:

In mysonos, why are radio stations now in list view but playlists and songs in horizontal .

I'm confused by this. I want to say its a mistake but it would be interesting to know the reason.
Ryan S wrote:

gtrance wrote:

In I think Johns idea is the right one. Move sonos playlists to browse, rename mysonos to favourites then only show favourites in that section.

There's still some work to be done to get My Sonos to the place where everyone is happy. We're collecting as much feedback as possible and getting it to the team. My Sonos is basically the evolution of Favorites. It's the place to go to play your usual music instead of searching through Browse.

Thanks for your reply, Ryan, but I don't think you will get My Sonos to the place where everyone is happy...or even anyone. I think the concept itself is flawed. It sounds logical - put the 'personal choices' things together - but in practice is doomed to be an unsatisfactory compromise of some sort.

Favourites and Playlists are different animals. For example, it is perfectly reasonable to want to have favourite Sonos Playlists (something that has been taken away from us in 8.2). And I would say it was odd to have, say, 20 favourite artists (they cannot really all be favourites), but not odd to have 50 playlists (and a few favourite playlists).

Sonos have had two goes at combining favourites and playlists so far. The first, in 8.0, gave us two categories of playlists in one place (Sonos Playlists and favourite playlists), with the bizarre effect that to make a playlist a favourite you had to go into My Sonos and ask to save it to My Sonos. The second attempt, in 8.2, is even more bizarre. Favourites from other sources are mixed in with all the Sonos Playlists. Favourites are supposed to be easy to find - this makes no sense.

But my point isn't that Sonos have got My Sonos wrong twice, it's that there is no right.

It is disingenuous to say that one would have to search for Sonos Playlists in Browse. Put it at the top or bottom. (Didn't it used to be at the top of the old main menu? - can't remember)

There are no downsides to this. It seems to me at least equally natural to think of Sonos Playlists as a source as to think of them being like Favourites. My Sonos can be just Favourites whether you rename it or not. We can have favourite playlists again, and the screen doesn't have to accommodate an 'all playlists' category along with favourites.

My Sonos is not an evolution of Favourites, it is a twice-failed experiment that needs to be abandoned.

This isn't the end of the world. It's just an app. It's usable. In fact I like some aspects of the new app. But this bit is just wrong, and it would be better to admit it.
Badge
FWIW I think 8.2 brings several improvements to the usability (running on iOS). I really like the change when I click the area of what is actually playing. The modal window is more intuitive than in previous versions. If you could just add a "X" in the top right corner to indicate how to close the window it would be perfect. The small grey bar in the top of the window is not enough, but that's Apple's stupid UI rules I guess.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)