Skip to main content
Question

Sonos Ports (cannot add on new app)

• 18 July 2024
  • 8 replies

I’m an integrator.  I still cannot after a week and a half add ANY Sonos ports to a new install that’s been completed.  Your app initially flashes a screen showing “adding port adding port adding port” and then it says update available...it errors out with a 1002 and then after force closing it, it errors out with a 1000.  

Then it goes into a neverending loop of “update is available” where I cannot actually reset the app to try again.

You guys are absolutely killing me right now and my clients who want to use their systems.

I’ve removed the devices entirely and brought them back to my design center/workspace and tried adding here as well with the same BS over and over.  I’ve used the PC app as some suggested as well with zero results.

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Also, you’ve taken the installer mode away from us in the new app, thanks for that.  But I also cannot actually remove any old devices or new ones with the new app at all.  I have to install an older s2 version via APK and then I can hide speakers.  You can’t make this insanity up.  Please help and fix this horrible app that’s destroying everything and everyone it touches.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Well my solution is this.

I do a full reset of the sonos port devices and open up the new app.  (no need to reset the app)

Then I start the process of adding the device WHILE MY LAPTOP HAS THE WINDOWS APP RUNNING!

It asks me to type in the pins that you made impossible to read and annihilated any concept of wire management during an install at a shop ahead of time into a rack.  Issue in itself.

Type in the pin, let the app fail and screw up for 5ish minutes.  Watch your laptop screen.

The desktop app pops up “needs an update”...hit it and it will start updating the port accordingly.  Then you can hard reset again and take to the job and hopefully add without pain.  (Haven’t tested that yet since I’ve been at my shop doing 1 port software update per every 25ish minutes.)

Hope this helps someone.  Sonos let me figure it out on my own.

SoundwavesCorp,

THANK YOU….FINALLY a way to update the port to work in my system. It updates just as you say when you have the web based version of the Sonos S2 app running on a computer. In my case, MacOS. As I was adding the port on my Android phone Sonos S2 app, after the hundredth or so reset, I keep “Checking for Updates” on the Web application. Sure enough in the middle of adding the port, it indicated I needed an update. I selected update and the firmware of the port was updated successfully without an issue. After the update, it allowed me to assign it to a room on my phone….FINALLY!! Now its part of the ecosystem.

Sonos needs to get their * together...their developers have really screwed up the system and they have been totally unresponsive to this issue. I mean some of us need to play sonos on our high fidelity systems and not on their crappy speakers...One got to wonder if they sabotaged this on purpose to keep us using their speakers. Hum?? 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

I’m not sure that ‘totally unresponsive’ is an accurate statement. 

There have been several updates since the original release of the 80.x version controller for S2. See release notes here.

Also, they’ve posted this FAQ article.

My understanding is that the FAQ article will be updated as needed.

I am sure you can see the frustration that so many of your customers are feeling. When we spend the kind of money we spend to have the “very best” ecosystem for our sound systems, we want / need them to work. If something get broken in the process of updating the application so that we can have more features, development focus needs to be on fixing the broken issue. Not being able to integrate the Port into our Sonos ecosystem is one of the most important requirements for this system, at least it is for me. 

I appreciate you realizing how important this is to get fixed so we can all enjoy home filled music again. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

There have been several updates since the original release of the 80.x version controller for S2. See release notes here.

39000+ posts.

Sonos employee.

Are you going to pay me for the countless hours from EVERY SINGLE BRAND NEW UNIT (PORT) I ATTEMPTED TO INSTALL...AND THEN PAY ME FOR MY LOSSES WITH CLIENTS TRUST AND LOYALTY?

Why isn’t this “FAQ” sticky’d and emailed directly to all direct dealers, as I am?

Don’t worry, I’ll wait.

39000+ posts.

Sonos employee.

No, SONOS employees are clearly identified as such. Airgetlam simply wants to help.

Please, can someone arrange for Sonos to pay me?