Sonos Connect Gen2 missing from S2 mobile app

• 24 March 2024
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have a Sonos Connect Gen 2 that is connected to my WiFi along with 4 other Sonos Speakers (2 x Era 100 + 2 x One Gen 1). All but the Sonos Connect seem to be connecting via 5Ghz. The Connect obviously connects via 2.4Ghz.

All 5 components are seen and work fine through the Windows Sonos S2 app on a PC hardwired to the network and on a laptop connected to the WiFi. I can group all 5 Sonos devices and use Line-In on connect.
However the Connect has disappeared from my my Sonos S2 app on my tablet and Samsung phone. They are all on my 192.168.50.x network. This has all been fine until very recently (may be a S2 app update has caused this issue ?).

The output of of the Windows Sonos S2 app Help/About this system is shown below:

Associated Product: 192.168.50.93
---------------------------------
Era 100: Kitchen Sonos (L)
Serial Number: ******************
Sonos OS: S2
Version: 16.1 (build 78151070)
Hardware Version: 1.38.1.10-9.1
Series ID: A102
IP Address: 192.168.50.93
WM: 1
Era 100: Kitchen Sonos (R)
Hardware Version: 1.38.1.10-9.1
Series ID: A102
IP Address: 192.168.50.91
Sonos One: Lounge Sonos (L)
Hardware Version: 1.21.1.8-2.1
Series ID: A100
IP Address: 192.168.50.61
Sonos One: Lounge Sonos (R)
Hardware Version: 1.21.1.8-2.1
Series ID: A100
IP Address: 192.168.50.62
Connect: Study Connect
Hardware Version: 1.17.5.5-2.1
Series ID: C100
IP Address: 192.168.50.58
OTP: 1.1.1(1-17-5-zp90-2.1)

Moderator Note: Recorded and removed Serial Numbers. Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Well I changed the channel that the 2.4Ghz WiFi uses and it has currently reappeared.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You don’t say what router you are using. Some handle devices on different frequencies poorly. Seems like your 5GHz devices are having trouble getting their data routed to/from your 2.4GHz Connect.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Well I would agree that that could be an explanation except the laptop and desktop have no problems connecting to them all. Also one mobile I had could see them all as well. Also if this was a generic issue with connectivity between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz I would have seen issues on other devices/services on the network. This seems specific to Sonos and to their S2 mobile app. I have had Sonos for many years and have never been overly impressed with how reliably and consistently they work with WiFi networks.

Lastly I have had the same network equipment for over a year and only now have had this with the S2 app.

FYI The access point is a TP-Link Omada EAP650 and the router is a PFSense firewall/router. All running latest software/firmware.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Well I would agree that that could be an explanation except the laptop and desktop have no problems connecting to them all. Also one mobile I had could see them all as well. Also if this was a generic issue with connectivity between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz I would have seen issues on other devices/services on the network. This seems specific to Sonos and to their S2 mobile app. I have had Sonos for many years and have never been overly impressed with how reliably and consistently they work with WiFi networks.

Lastly I have had the same network equipment for over a year and only now have had this with the S2 app.

FYI The access point is a TP-Link Omada EAP650 and the router is a PFSense firewall/router. All running latest software/firmware.

Other devices on your network likely do not care if traffic is failed to be routed as they don’t do inter-device comms like Sonos do. Plus you said your PC was wired, so even the stupidest router manages to route correctly between Ethernet and one Wifi frequency.

You have a non-trivial network configuration, the problem likely lies in there somewhere.

If you don’t believe me, then try disabling 5GHz wifi on your system for a day, and see if the problem persists. If it does, I am wrong.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Supposing you are right, if I connect the Sonos Connect via ethernet directly to my switch will it re-enable the SonosNet and stop using my house WiFi or can it just be the same as it currently is (using house WiFi) except using a wired connection to the Connect?

Anyway I have done that and disabled the WiFi on the Connect.