Skip to main content

Sonos App hijacks Spotify

• 9 December 2021
  • 3 replies

This has been discussed with regard to the S2 version of the Sonos app, in my case this concerns the S1 version (I still have an early Play 5 - everything else is S2 ready).  When I play music, I set up my “room” (why can’t I save a room?) which includes a PlayBar, a Beam and that Play 5, set the volume then go to the Spotify app to launch the music.  I prefer the Spotify app for the lyrics and suggestions.  After two or three songs, the Sonos app slowly begins to hijack the stream….eventually, I can only skip, stop, start or control the volume on the Sonos app.  Very annoying.  Is there a workaround to this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Badge +17

Hi @Exocet,

I guess I’m not fully understanding what you mean by the Sonos app “hijacks” the stream, but I’m guessing you mean that the Spotify Connect connection seems to drop after a while on the Spotify app after being idle for too long.

You should just be able to reconnect to the Sonos player again via the Spotify app, the same way you did when starting playback, and the connection will resume.

By the way, in S2, you are able to create the saved groups that you’re looking for. :slight_smile:

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thank you, yes - I can reconnect to Spotify...most of the time by closing everything, re-starting Sonos, re-authorizing Spotify, recreating the group (because you can’t save groups in S1), re-launching Spotify and starting the whole thing again…..so that Spotify and Sonos come into sync again.  Succinctly, that process is considered a PITA.

I suspect Sonos is just hoping all us S1 users will just eventually throw out our legacy hardware and spend another $600 on a new speaker just so we can use the S2 app.  Somehow this junking of legacy hardware is not mentioned in the sustainability section….

What a daft post. Tbe Sonos app always remains in contact with the system. It's just a remote control. This is like buying a different remote control for your TV and then complaining because the other one still works.

As for the conspiracy theory nonsense about junking legacy hardware, how does that connection get made?