Question

Need *more* audio delay

• 9 October 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have an AMP and just replaced my old analog tube tv with a Sony X950H. The AMP is connected via HDMI to the ARC/eARC port. I used the iOS app "Catchin’ Sync” with a test video to measure video/audio sync, and my audio was in advance of the video.

So far, I’ve tried turning off all the bells and whistles on the Sony’s video processing to speed up the video, and I’ve turned up the AMP’s TV Dialog Sync delay all the way to ‘5’. I changed the TV’s audio to Dolby instead of PCM. The audio is still slightly in advance of the video (about 30ms) but is still noticeable since the brain is more sensitive to audio happening before video.

Any ideas how to get a bit more delay? The Compression option only works for the RCA Line In, not HDMI, and the Group Delay doesn’t apply since it’s only one room. The TV can output audio via HDMI, optical, or a headphone jack, though I’d prefer HDMI.

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @csvanhoeven, welcome to the Sonos Community, and thanks for letting us know your concern here. Let me help you with the steps on if the audio is ahead of the video:

Use the “Audio Delay” setting to delay the audio. Drag the slider to increase the sound delay if the audio is ahead of the video.

On iOS or Android:

1. Open the Sonos app for iOS or Android. From the Settings tab, tap System.
  2. Select the room where the Sonos home theater product and surround speakers are located.
  3. Under Home Theater, tap TV Dialog Sync.

More here. Let us know if this helps. We and the community are always here to help.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Tv Dialog Sync is already cranked up to ‘5’. How can I squeeze out *more* delay?

Anyone know of a device like an hdmi repeater or something that could add more latency to the ARC bus?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @csvanhoeven, thanks for your reply. If you’ve hit the maximum TV dialog sync, that would be it. My suggestions would be, check the TV if there are updates, audio formats, or any settings on your TV that would help. If you can try the optical connection for isolation. You might want to check this thread as well. Just let us know. We and the community are always here to help.