My Sonos system looses contact with its units now and then since I expanded my ASUS Mesh network

• 13 April 2024
  • 6 replies

A coupe of weekend ago I upgraded my ASUS Zen mesh wifi network with two more units for better coverage, it all went well for everything without the Sonos System with a couple of One and One SL units. The Sonos system looses contact with the units once in a while, it can be good for a week or two, but suddenly it starts to behave like shit, can’t find the units, want to connect them, and when you try doing that the system is not able to do it, it is starting to become very very annoying, it all worked fine before the network expansion, but Sonos would be able to handle things like that you would imagine…. Right…

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Start by assigning all Sonos a static/reserved IP address. Power down all Sonos. Reboot all the router units. Power back up the Sonos.

It may not be the cure but it is sure the easiest place to start. 

Look to your router’s DHCP settings page for how to do it.

Start by assigning all Sonos a static/reserved IP address. Power down all Sonos. Reboot all the router units. Power back up the Sonos.

It may not be the cure but it is sure the easiest place to start. 

Look to your router’s DHCP settings page for how to do it.

Yeah! Done all that with giving the units static IP, still works like *…..@SONOS, what the hell, how can working in a mesh network be an issue for you ?

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

With that out of the way I’d wait for the issue, submit a diagnostic and Call Sonos Support with the number to have then look at your internal Sonos data that we users can’t see.

Thanks, yes probably a way to try! 😄

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Make sure your mesh system routes correctly (broadcasts, multicasts and between 2.4/5GHz devices).

Have looked over the network settings, and the majority of them are the default settings, the same as we used before we expanded the network from 2 to 4 mesh units. Today the system have worked extremely well, only some dropouts, but the unit that got silent came back after a short while. The last hour or so we have tested streaming directly to the speakers (the whole system with 6 speakers) from the Spotify app, and that have worked perfectly, so why is the Sonos app loose the system now and then…..🤔  Must do some more testing here…..