Skip to main content

Cannot set up Sonos AT ALL!!

• 19 July 2022
  • 8 replies

I am becoming extremely frustrated with my Sonos.

I use it in my office at work, I have moved to a different room, some 10 feet away and it stopped working completely!!

It is on the same router and every time it says it cannot find the system, blah blah blah!!!

I have done a factory reset, deleted the app, you name it I have tried it.

I am losing my patience and have a very expensive paperweight!!!!!!!

Are you looking for assistance or just wanted to vent?  If you want assistance, what router are you using?  Is your Sonos speaker wired to the router or wireless?  Any changes to the phone or computer you’re connecting to control the device?

I use it in my office at work, I have moved to a different room, some 10 feet away and it stopped working completely!!

It is on the same router and every time it says it cannot find the system, blah blah blah!!!

What’s on the same router? Your phone or the speaker? 

Would you actually know whether the new room was served by a different access point, which could potentially be isolated from other parts of the network?

Work environments can easily trip up Sonos. The controller and players need to be on the same broadcast subnet to intercommunicate. For very good network management reasons, IT departments may often wish to partition the network space.

Are you looking for assistance or just wanted to vent?  If you want assistance, what router are you using?  Is your Sonos speaker wired to the router or wireless?  Any changes to the phone or computer you’re connecting to control the device?

As per my original post it says that it is on the same router and it is wireless, I have tried an ethernet cable too, no changes to the phone.

And I do want assistance and to vent also

Would you actually know whether the new room was served by a different access point, which could potentially be isolated from other parts of the network?

Work environments can easily trip up Sonos. The controller and players need to be on the same broadcast subnet to intercommunicate. For very good network management reasons, IT departments may often wish to partition the network space.

The phone is on the same router, I reset the speaker and was asked to enter the wifi password, which I did.

Same router, different room, I dont see why it wont connect, find the system etc!!

@angryandfrustrated,
An obvious thing to try perhaps, but does the speaker work back in its earlier position in your old office - just wondering if something has perhaps changed on the local network and that you may need to discuss things with whoever is responsible for the network.

The phone is on the same router, I reset the speaker and was asked to enter the wifi password, which I did.

Same router, different room, I dont see why it wont connect, find the system etc!!

Quite possibly wireless client isolation. It’s quite common in work situations.

I've got a little further but still not working.

It says it has my Sonos ONE SL has been added, but may not appear in the System tab. If so, unplug the power cord and plug it back in to finish set up from the System tab.

I have done that but I cannot access the System tab?!

Still comes up with “unable to find your Sonos system”

I just don’t understand, its on the same network and still wont work?! 

It says to make sure I am signed in on my mobile device, which I am and connected to the WiFi, which I am?!

The setup process talks to the speaker directly, via an adhoc WiFi connection or Bluetooth LE. After setup the controller app and speaker have to be able to intercommunicate through the network. 

As we’ve already tried to point out a few times this apparently can’t happen, quite possibly because of your local network admin policies. Speak to your IT guys.