Using a Turntable with Sonos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

237 replies

Hello everyone!

Thanks a lot for all of your messages. 

I want to connect my mk2 technics turntable (without preamp) to my son's play 1s

I have been advice to buy a Sonos, I received it yesterday. 

I have a amplifier pioneer vsx921 for my TV, can I use this one to get music from turntable to my Sonos speakers?

What kinfof connections do I need to do on amplifier, and Sonos port?

I tried to simply connect mk2 on rca in of Sonos port and I can get sound on play 1 but the sound is very very very very low even if I put at maximum sound level... 

I am completely lost here :(

Can someone help me please? 

Thanks a lot and happy new year!

Francis 

I've read the various comments about connecting a TT with pre-amp to a Play 5 via a line in. I wish to do this and group through all Sonos speakers in the room. Will I be able to switch seamlessly between Vinyl and streaming without having to unplug TT from play 5 and change settings in the app? 

Yes for not needing to remove the plug, but no, you’ll still need to switch from the line in to streaming in the app. It doesn’t happen automatically. 

Thanks for the info, the turntable works great. Although the sound is good the volume on its highest is only about 40% of the volume when streaming. Is this normal and is there anything I can do to improve. I have a Audio Technica ATLP5X so a decent TT/pre-amp

You may need to adjust the settings for the line in. See the FAQ for more details. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Maybe it’s mentioned and I just didn’t see it, but to get the sound from the receiver to my Sonos Connect I needed to connect the tape out on the receiver to the audio in on the Connect (after connecting the turntable to the receiver’s turntable jacks). The connection is working fine, but if there’s a better way (or if the Sonos support article says this), please let me know.

Got something similar to you guys. 
Just got a Sonos Amp, Sonos One SL and a Turntable Pro-Ject …. but sounds is extremely coming out of the Sonos One SL. 

Everything works fine, it is connected, the Amp recognises it but sounds is quite low compare to Streaming.
Tried to change the Line-In and the Source Level to 10 (High) … but doesn’t seem to work. Sounds is still at 30% of what it could be.

Any Advice ? Will try to connect proper speakers to my amp and give it a try

I’m going to guess that “sounds is extremely coming” to be perhaps “quiet”?

I’d be looking at turning on the pre-amp if there is one on that turntable (from Phono to Line), and if there isn’t, adding an external pre-amp to get the phono level output from the turntable to a line level output, which is what the Sonos is expecting.

Just as a note, some turntables “hide” that switch under the platter, they’re not always on the back of the device. 

I’m going to guess that “sounds is extremely coming” to be perhaps “quiet”?

I’d be looking at turning on the pre-amp if there is one on that turntable (from Phono to Line), and if there isn’t, adding an external pre-amp to get the phono level output from the turntable to a line level output, which is what the Sonos is expecting.

Just as a note, some turntables “hide” that switch under the platter, they’re not always on the back of the device. 

Thanks mate … Yes, the sound coming out is quite low ! ;) 
Just ordered a Phono Pre-Amp that will be connected to the turntable and the Sonos Amp. 
Thanks for the feedback

Badge +1

I just got a Fluance RT-85 and went with the Fluance external preamp since the Pluto 2 was not available until July.  Everything is hooked up correctly and I have the Line-In Voltage level  set to 10 but the volume is still not there.  I have new vinyl as well.  It cuts out the vocals for example ie certain ranges are absent or barely audible.  Any suggestions?  MG

Badge +1

Forgot to mention that my 3.5mm is hooked up to a Sonos 5 speaker which is connected to the rest of my Sonos system.  I have 10 different rooms with a Sonos speaker and I can play vinyl in all of the rooms if selected so it’s just the volume and the missing parts of the music that is missing.  MG

Userlevel 7

@mdmike1 Double check your connections and make sure the 3.5 mm cable is fully inserted into the line-in port of the speaker. Also be sure to adjust the line-in Source Level and set Audio Compression to Uncompressed in the Sonos app.