Using a Turntable with Sonos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

237 replies

Badge
Perhaps if you were to read the article that you quoted in full.

Being that, the article is at least a year old, doesn’t answer the question and, technology tends to...you know...progress, it’s a valid question.

But, thanks for the useful response.
Given that technology does advance, the simple fact is that the data in that article is still valid. And based on the data in that article, you'll find that without additional hardware, there is no way for your system to connect to a turntable.
Open the Sonos app on your phone or tablet. Go to the Browse Menu and select Line-In. Choose the source of your music. Then press Play Now and the record playing on your turntable will start up.
That won’t assist mikegoldnj above though, as he doesn’t have a line-in to connect to, as Bruce was suggesting, he will still need some further hardware, like a Connect, or a Play:5 for example.
I have my original Rega Planar connected in through a pre-amp to my new Sonos Play 5. All working ok but quality not as good as I would have thought, so I started playing through my Sonos 1 stereo pair and only one speaker is playing. Streamed music, radio works fine as stereo pair through the two Sonos 1s. That might explain why Play 5 sounds not as good as I thought it would i.e. it appears to be playing in mono. Any ideas or thought appreciated.
Please ignore last post have played around with connectors from pre-amp to Sonos 5 and was a faulty connection. Duh!
I just bought the Debut Carbon from Sonos as well as a pair of Play5s. From what I’m seeing and reading, it doesn’t look like you can hook the two Play5s up to the TT without another piece, is that correct? What’s the easiest way to accomplish this?
I just bought the Debut Carbon from Sonos as well as a pair of Play5s. From what I’m seeing and reading, it doesn’t look like you can hook the two Play5s up to the TT without another piece, is that correct? What’s the easiest way to accomplish this?You don't need anything else. Just wire to one of the Play:5 line-in jacks. That turntable has a built-in phono preamp. Make sure it's enabled.
But I am trying to use both Play5s with the TT, not just the 1. Is that possible?
But I am trying to use both Play5s with the TT, not just the 1. Is that possible?You make a stereo pair of the Play:5s. You select the Line-In on whichever Play:5 the TT is wired to. The sound plays on both.
Now that Sonos supports Google Assistant, is it possible to stream a turntable to Google speakers as well as Sonos speakers?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Now that Sonos supports Google Assistant, is it possible to stream a turntable to Google speakers as well as Sonos speakers?
No, not at the moment. Not sure if this would ever be possible either. You currently cannot share the same stream to google/alexa with your Sonos speakers.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

advice please! I am looking to buy a Audio Technica AT-LP120 turntable with built in preamp ... I have a playbar, subwoofer and two Play 1s, all via the Sonos Bridge .. .is there a way to hook the turntable up to my set up, without paying £350 for a Connect? can I not connect the turntable to the Bridge? thanks for any advice!No, you'll need a Sonos device with Line-In capability which means getting a CONNECT, a PLAY:5, or a CONNECT:AMP.

Yes, there is a way. I wrote this instructable describing how to do it using a Raspberry Pi...
https://www.instructables.com/id/Add-Aux-to-Sonos-Using-Raspberry-Pi/
code:
Hello, 
My boyfriend has a Sonos One Gen2. This week he bought a Sonos Port to connect a Pro-Ject Debut III. Unfortunately this does not work as belonging, the sound is not optimal and very quiet. The Sonos One is at the height level of volume. The volume is also at the highest on the Sonos app. Can someone help me to solve the problem?
Unless you have the Recordmaster model, the Debut line lacks a phono pre-amp stage that is necessary for use with Sonos. No pre-amp will result in the distorted sound at a low level that you are experiencing. Of the current Pro-Ject lineup, the Essentials III line has an Essentials III Phono model that includes a built-in pre-amp. For any model without a built-in phono pre-amp, you can purchase an external phono pre-amp..
I recently bought the Pro-ject Essential III and 2x Play 5 speakers direct from Sonos and (tried to) set everything up over the weekend. The turntable set-up was a bit fiddly, but I got there in the end. I had the same issue with sound level when I first played vinyl - it was barely audible - which is when I stumbled up on this thread. I cranked up the line-in voltage to level 10, and the sound is a little better, but still well below a level at which I would want to listen to anything. Does anyone know what the issue might be? I did wonder if I needed a pre-amp or an amp, but according to Sonos the Essential III has a pre-amp and Play 5s have an inbuilt amp. I've been stockpiling vinyl over the last couple of months and was very excited to start listening to it, but as it stands I have no motivation to use either the turntable or the Play 5s. Hoping this isn't $1300 down the drain and i'm just missing something really small and silly.....
I recently bought the Pro-ject Essential III and 2x Play 5 speakers direct from Sonos and (tried to) set everything up over the weekend. The turntable set-up was a bit fiddly, but I got there in the end. I had the same issue with sound level when I first played vinyl - it was barely audible - which is when I stumbled up on this thread. I cranked up the line-in voltage to level 10, and the sound is a little better, but still well below a level at which I would want to listen to anything. Does anyone know what the issue might be? I did wonder if I needed a pre-amp or an amp, but according to Sonos the Essential III has a pre-amp and Play 5s have an inbuilt amp. I've been stockpiling vinyl over the last couple of months and was very excited to start listening to it, but as it stands I have no motivation to use either the turntable or the Play 5s. Hoping this isn't $1300 down the drain and i'm just missing something really small and silly.....
Ignore me. I know what the issue is....
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
@davidpaterson99 Now you got me curious…..
@davidpaterson99 Now you got me curious…..

There's a switch at the back of the turntable that turns on the preamp. No mention in the instructions! As a novice, this was all a bit frustrating. The Pro-ject instructions were poor and there's no holistic instructions from Sonos, who sell the package. Got there in the end...

Hello, I’m a new owner of a Sonos Port, connected to my Pro-ject Debut Carbon via a Pro-ject pre-amp.  Thing is, it’s dropping out regularly, but there’s no issue with the output (confirmed via headphone pre-amp).  I moved the Port closer to my WiFi router, shows 97% strength, and then I even set the router to prioritize streaming from the Port.  No dice.  Even with that, audio is dropping out.  Any ideas or thoughts?

Set the line in to Compressed.

Thanks, Bruce, will that have a significant impact on audio quality?  I usually think of ‘compressed’ as a problem?

It’s a common solution to this kind of thing, which tends to be a bandwidth/WiFi interference issue. I’ve never seen anyone come back and say they could hear a difference, but I expect that’s dependent on your hearing capabilities. 

Thanks, Bruce, will that have a significant impact on audio quality?  I usually think of ‘compressed’ as a problem?

If you prefer to run the line-in audio uncompressed, then goto the Port’s line-in Settings where you can change the audio buffer size by selecting an 'AirPlay’ device as the line-In “Source Name” … you can then overtype the name to something like 'Turntable’, or any name you prefer and then see if the bigger buffer helps to resolve your issue.

If the tip suggested by Ken also does not serve, then compressed mode is probably the solution. And no one has established that any difference in quality heard via that mode is not just psychological.

Loving the connect and my new TT. One question - buttons on the front of the connect don’t do anything regardless of the setting in the Sonos app. Should the physical volume buttons on the connect change the loudness? I’d love to have that, as the connect is right next to my TT and would give me an easy physical loudness control.

My set up is TT with preamp to Sonos connect via RCA then wireless to a pair of Sonos ones, gen 2. 

I bought it from amazon warehouse so it’s possible it could be defective, or I’m missing something. Thanks for any help.