Skip to main content

Hello,

I just got a Sonos Port and connected it successfully to my existing HK 3490 receiver.  The last thing i’d like to set up is to power on the receiver automatically when the Port starts transmitting audio.  The receiver does not have any 12v trigger input but it does have a Remote IR input.  I was hoping (probably against any logic) that connecting the 12v trigger output on the Port to the Remote IR input on the HK would do the trick.  No luck.  Does anyone have any suggestions on workarounds or gizmos that would do the trick.  The only articles i’ve found online are describing the reverse scenario, i.e. triggering a 12v input from an IR signal. The only thing i found that might do the trick is a 12v - 230V Slave Power supply from a French company: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/power-supply-kits/audiophonics-trigger-12v-230v-slave-power-supply-device-p-10661.html

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Assuming I’ve got the correct manual here for the HK Receiver … see attachments. I don’t see how you can do this with a 12v trigger, but I can think of other alternatives, such as using a Logitech Harmony Hub, or similar remote, which could be used to power on the Receiver over infrared and that type of IR remote hub will also work with Alexa or Google voice commands or IFTTT triggers, but it’s a bit of a learning curve to set things up ...and it’s perhaps just as easy (and less-costly) to use the Receivers IR remote, perhaps?🤔

Thank you, Ken.  I do have a Harmony Hub and have that working already.  I’m just very lazy and was trying to avoid picking up the remote or talking to Alexa :)   I guess it’ll have to do. Thanks for the feedback.

I haven’t use a Harmony in a while, but you should be able to add a POWER ON command as the PORT input is selected. The HK should ignore an extra POWER ON command. Don’t issue a POWER command because this is a Toggle. A “Toggle” will flip the HK between ON and OFF each time that the command is issued. You’ll go crazy while attempting to tame a POWER Toggle. Sometimes the Harmony Help function will insert the proper POWER ON command.

Hi,

I actually recently hit the same problem! So I’m in the middle of building my own which supports Pronto IR codes.

The goal is when it receives the 12v it will trigger to turn on the amp and select the input. When it stops receiving the 12v it turns the amp off. I have the IR codes working it’s just a matter of hooking in the relay and putting the logic around the on/off state.

Fingers X

I created a simple device to control my Amp from the 12v trigger on the Sonos Port.

https://hackaday.io/project/176520-esp32-sonos-port-12v-trigger-control-amp