Question

New Sonos App Update Broke Amp Subwoofer Control

Userlevel 3
Badge

Really trying to understand if I'm doing something wrong here. But before I updated to the new Sonos app, I had absolutely no problems until now. 

The new Sonos app completely broke the subwoofer on/off & subwoofer volume control I had for my Sonos Amp. Luckily my subwoofer has a lot of controls on it and I'm able to adjust the volume and the phase control directly on the subwoofer, but I absolutely need to have the ability to control that important function on the app. 

Does anyone else have an issue controlling the on/off and volume control of your subwoofer connected to the Sonos Amp?

62 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ok, I have disabled the sonosnet that my system was running on by disconnecting an Ethernet connection and running my entire system via my mesh network.  This has completely corrected the stability issues.  Still no sub controls.  After getting off Sonosnet, I had to reconnect each Sonos device by hitting play on each unit and then needed to select something in the app to play.  A bit tedious but big improvement in stability which is progress with this very messy update from Sonos.

What stability issue? I have had no issues but only use arc inputs. I did have to factory reset all my sonos products. To force the device updates I assume are for the new app.

The stability issues that I was experiencing included delayed app availability, intermittent sound outages, occasionally each amp would stop playing and then resume playback on different sync timing.  Also, streaming Apple Music would repeat songs and loop a short list.  Volume adjustment and song/artist  was not responding or updating.  Super unstable prior to jumping off of sonosnet after this latest update and I never had an issue before since kinks were worked out at S2 release.  Now it’s great from a stability standpoint.  Ran both amps for my outdoor patio for about 8 hours today after making the change and no issues.  Still no sub controls from lfe for phase and volume and no ability to turn off sub controls where I am not running a sub.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ok, I have disabled the sonosnet that my system was running on by disconnecting an Ethernet connection and running my entire system via my mesh network.  This has completely corrected the stability issues.  Still no sub controls.  After getting off Sonosnet, I had to reconnect each Sonos device by hitting play on each unit and then needed to select something in the app to play.  A bit tedious but big improvement in stability which is progress with this very messy update from Sonos.

What stability issue? I have had no issues but only use arc inputs. I did have to factory reset all my sonos products. To force the device updates I assume are for the new app.

The stability issues that I was experiencing included delayed app availability, intermittent sound outages, occasionally each amp would stop playing and then resume playback on different sync timing.  Also, streaming Apple Music would repeat songs and loop a short list.  Volume adjustment and song/artist  was not responding or updating.  Super unstable prior to jumping off of sonosnet after this latest update and I never had an issue before since kinks were worked out at S2 release.  Now it’s great from a stability standpoint.  Ran both amps for my outdoor patio for about 8 hours today after making the change and no issues.  Still no sub controls from lfe for phase and volume and no ability to turn off sub controls where I am not running a sub.

Gotcha. I'm still side loading version 2 16.0 on my android for sub volume control.

Do any body know if they Are they going to fix this? 

I've heard a true release will be in August???

...as in no subwoofer control until then? Heard from who/where? Sonos? Say it aint so, 🤞

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sonos just released an update that states it has fixed sub controls.  Has anyone given it a try.  I will not be able to test my system until Thursday and can update afterwards.  Thanks!

My system is up to date, sub controls are still not functional, 

My system is up to date, sub controls are still not functional, 

Did you update the app?

No, I’ve set auto updates off but did check for updates and system shows to be up to date., no updates available.

Crossover frequency slider works now. However on/off and sub level doesn’t work.

There’s also a bug in the frequency slider. Max in the new app if you slide all the way to the right is 100hz. If you use the old app, max is 110hz. You can still get 110hz (and it would be reflected in the new app) by maxing it in the old app.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Crossover frequency slider works now. However on/off and sub level doesn’t work.

There’s also a bug in the frequency slider. Max in the new app if you slide all the way to the right is 100hz. If you use the old app, max is 110hz. You can still get 110hz (and it would be reflected in the new app) by maxing it in the old app.

Can you show where the controls are at.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I feel like this forum is being used as beta testing feedback.  Honestly, I wish I were part of the beta at this point.  Ugh!  Really appreciate that you all are sharing feedback.

See below. Click where I highlighted in yellow.

I feel like this forum is being used as beta testing feedback.  Honestly, I wish I were part of the beta at this point.  Ugh!  Really appreciate that you all are sharing feedback.

I would be very happy to do beta testing. I’m just not sure if the Sonos people are even interested in listening to us.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I have the controls but they don’t do anything.  What still works for me is (on iPhone) the Shortcut I made with the app Soro that controls my sub.  I have some different settings for music and movies and when they run, they do in fact change the sub output to my 3rd party sub.

Been this way since this new app.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I installed the new Sonos app update today (80.01.11) and it states specifically in the update release notes "Fixed an issue with enabling Surround and Sub Audio."

I can confirm that the issue is still NOT resolved. I am not able to control any subwoofer functions for my Sonos Amp. I even checked for Sonos product updates within the app itself just in case if the new app update today was coupled with hardware updates and there's none. I also power cycled my Sonos amp for good measure and still nothing. 

What a very annoying and in my opinion highly unacceptable bug to have right now. My Sonos Amp functionality is practically broken if I cannot control anything subwoofer related, I can't even turn it off. No other choice but to wait, but man I'm not happy about this.

@Corry P tagging you hoping to get acknowledgment that Sonos is aware of this bug.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I installed the new Sonos app update today (80.01.11) and it states specifically in the update release notes "Fixed an issue with enabling Surround and Sub Audio."

I can confirm that the issue is still NOT resolved. I am not able to control any subwoofer functions for my Sonos Amp. I even checked for Sonos product updates within the app itself just in case if the new app update today was coupled with hardware updates and there's none. I also power cycled my Sonos amp for good measure and still nothing. 

What a very annoying and in my opinion highly unacceptable bug to have right now. My Sonos Amp functionality is practically broken if I cannot control anything subwoofer related, I can't even turn it off. No other choice but to wait, but man I'm not happy about this.

@Corry P tagging you hoping to get acknowledgment that Sonos is aware of this bug.

Thanks for the update and completely agree that Sonos is turfing the brand with loyal audiophile users.  Can’t believe that I bought these Sonos amps and had a fantastic 1.5week experience before they ruined it with an app update.  Wtf, seriously!!

Badge

I use a Crown amp to power the jbl 2210 for my deck. Sonos doesn't make a outdoor sub at this caliber

I like the sound of that crown been around forever they couldn’t even get near it professional Audio is way farther ahead than Sonos. Sonos is a nice toy. Definitely better than having a russound System from back in the day I wouldn’t say it’s better than Creston but for something that comes out of the box it’s a lot easier than having to add amplifiers and match up the correct speakers and things like that. I like that you used a crown amplifier I’ve been installing home systems Building nightclub, audio, and video for over 35 years. We use crown & Qsc. But a lot of people don’t think you can use those type of amplifiers with the systems and when you do, they sound phenomenal. Just may need to play around with some good ideas of how to trigger the amps on it off which you can just do it through the AC voltage and get a trigger Device 

Badge

You know it’s really horrible. Also that you can’t tap on the volume anymore and then go to your equalizer settings. You now have to hit the settings button on the top right of the screen, which is a royal pain in the ass then separately go into the zone that you wanna choose to adjust Subwoofer at least when they make it work correctly, it would’ve been better for them to get rid Of the subwoofer control screen and have a pop-up that says coming soon lol 

Userlevel 1
Badge

See below. Click where I highlighted in yellow.

Well looks like it's in the same old place. I updated my app and it's still missing.

Sub controls for Amp are broken for me too. App is updated to latest version as of 5 minutes ago. The controls are visible, but when I make adjustments there is no effect. If I toggle Sub to “off” it still plays sub audio. Adjusting the sub volume level will show visually in the app, but it doesn’t actually change the sub volume. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Sub controls for Amp are broken for me too. App is updated to latest version as of 5 minutes ago. The controls are visible, but when I make adjustments there is no effect. If I toggle Sub to “off” it still plays sub audio. Adjusting the sub volume level will show visually in the app, but it doesn’t actually change the sub volume. 

Yup, still broken. But I got a thumbs up from a Sonos staff member about my previous comment stating the new update still hasn't resolved this bug. So I'm a bit more happy that there's acknowledgment about this bug so I trust a fix is coming soon. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same here!  The latest update has self recognized no sub on my amp that does not have one connected to the sub out.  My other amp with a sub connected via sub out - still no phase control and level has no effect.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I'm still side loading the old app 15.8 every time I need to install an amp for someone. Good thing the new app doesn't control the sub out or it would never work.

I’m having the same issue, controls are there but only the crossover freq works in the sub controls. Every update breaks something. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Those of you that have sub controls are you android or IOS? I have never seen the controls on android with new app. Updated  just a couple days ago.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Those of you that have sub controls are you android or IOS? I have never seen the controls on android with new app. Updated  just a couple days ago.

iOS here.  Shows sub controls when connected to sub out on amp.  Level and phase are not working