Question

New Sonos App Update Broke Amp Subwoofer Control

Userlevel 3
Badge

Really trying to understand if I'm doing something wrong here. But before I updated to the new Sonos app, I had absolutely no problems until now. 

The new Sonos app completely broke the subwoofer on/off & subwoofer volume control I had for my Sonos Amp. Luckily my subwoofer has a lot of controls on it and I'm able to adjust the volume and the phase control directly on the subwoofer, but I absolutely need to have the ability to control that important function on the app. 

Does anyone else have an issue controlling the on/off and volume control of your subwoofer connected to the Sonos Amp?

64 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

This upsets me to no end i adjust my bass volume up for watching movies on my deck. I have been doing a side load of an old version apk on my android. But damn sonos still auto updates my app without permission.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes, I have the same issue with a Cambridge Audio sub, the Amp’s sub controls have no effect on the signal to the Sub currently and I have to control the level directly on the sub.

Is it supppsed to be like this?

Is it Sonos way to force us to buy their Subwoofer?

Userlevel 3

The Amp has an RCA sub out so it’s built to support 3rd party subs. I doubt the bug in the app is there to force people to buy new kit. I have certainly put off any potential future purchases since this app’s release. I was looking at an Era 3’s and Arc with Sub but have serious doubts now.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I use a Crown amp to power the jbl 2210 for my deck. Sonos doesn't make a outdoor sub at this caliber.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have experienced exactly the same issue.  Sub controls have been rendered useless for phase control, level and cannot be disabled which means crossover is always enabled.  I use two Sonos amps for my outdoor patio and have one connected to a sub amp which powers an outdoor sub.  The other amp with no sub.  The system was working harmoniously and perfectly blended until the latest app which completely ruined the ability to blend the sub and mains and sub optimized the use of a second zone without a sub.  Terrible release.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Is it supppsed to be like this?

Is it Sonos way to force us to buy their Subwoofer?

No and to be honest I think that's a far stretch. It's pretty clear to me that it's just poor planning and poor programming on releasing this new update. It is filled with bugs and issues. 

So it will come another update? What do you think?

Is there anyone who talked to Sonos about this issue? I hope they know there’s a problem…

Userlevel 1
Badge

Well it looks like two subsequent updates have been released.  One of the updates includes support for Apple Lossless Music which is great.  Still no fix for the sub controls on Sonos Amp.  Ugh!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I was installing a jbl2210 sub for a customer today. He previously had a pair of jbl 28 on his dock so the default on the sub crossover is 0hz so you get nothing. I again sideloaded the apk old 16.0 app on my phone to set the sub up. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I was installing a jbl2210 sub for a customer today. He previously had a pair of jbl 28 on his dock so the default on the sub crossover is 0hz so you get nothing. I again sideloaded the apk old 16.0 app on my phone to set the sub up. 

Super helpful.  Are you using an android device?  If using IOS then, I will do some research on how to sideload the old 16.0 app.  Thank you!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Super helpful.  Are you using an android device?  If using IOS then, I will do some research on how to sideload the old 16.0 app.  Thank you!

I am using android in developer mode. 

Same issue. Luckily I didn’t update the app in another Apple device (iPad) so I’m using that to control the sub.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same issue. Luckily I didn’t update the app in another Apple device (iPad) so I’m using that to control the sub.

Its updating android without permission!!!!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I had to factory reset and software update a restaurant today. 6 devices they were old sonos connects and plays. They wouldn't update for the new app till they were deleted and reinstalled.

And after that, they work with the new app? Subcontrols work? 

Really trying to understand if I'm doing something wrong here. But before I updated to the new Sonos app, I had absolutely no problems until now. 

The new Sonos app completely broke the subwoofer on/off & subwoofer volume control I had for my Sonos Amp. Luckily my subwoofer has a lot of controls on it and I'm able to adjust the volume and the phase control directly on the subwoofer, but I absolutely need to have the ability to control that important function on the app. 

Does anyone else have an issue controlling the on/off and volume control of your subwoofer connected to the Sonos Amp?

Exact same issue here since updating to the new app - also, when now playing music sometimes the external subwoofer gets signal, other times not… Frustrating :(

Userlevel 1

Do any body know if they Are they going to fix this? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Do any body know if they Are they going to fix this? 

I've heard a true release will be in August???

I was chatting with sonos earlier on this. The sonos tech support guys said the previous amp sub controls are still there but relocated (read-hidden?) elsewhere under room settings. I tried following the instructions given but I still cannot find it. Maybe I am missing something here. Sonos should just publish the detailed software release notes so we can all understand the changes once and for all....

I can access the controls (click the gear icon in the upper right side of the app, and then choose your amp in the system). The problem is that they just don’t work. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I can access the controls (click the gear icon in the upper right side of the app, and then choose your amp in the system). The problem is that they just don’t work. 

I disagree I don't even have the controls. I believe it's because my amp and other products I have did not get the equipment updated needed to use the new app. I am betting I'll have to factory reset to reinstall to force the amp update.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ok, I have disabled the sonosnet that my system was running on by disconnecting an Ethernet connection and running my entire system via my mesh network.  This has completely corrected the stability issues.  Still no sub controls.  After getting off Sonosnet, I had to reconnect each Sonos device by hitting play on each unit and then needed to select something in the app to play.  A bit tedious but big improvement in stability which is progress with this very messy update from Sonos.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ok, I have disabled the sonosnet that my system was running on by disconnecting an Ethernet connection and running my entire system via my mesh network.  This has completely corrected the stability issues.  Still no sub controls.  After getting off Sonosnet, I had to reconnect each Sonos device by hitting play on each unit and then needed to select something in the app to play.  A bit tedious but big improvement in stability which is progress with this very messy update from Sonos.

What stability issue? I have had no issues but only use arc inputs. I did have to factory reset all my sonos products. To force the device updates I assume are for the new app.