Introducing Sonos Move, Brilliant Sound Anywhere

Related products: Hardware News
Introducing Sonos Move, Brilliant Sound Anywhere
Introducing Sonos Move, the durable, battery-powered smart speaker for outdoor and indoor listening. Powerful and versatile with smart, adaptable sound, Sonos Move is available starting September 24th.

Sonos Move delivers surprisingly deep bass, an ultra-wide soundscape, and Automatic Trueplay tuning that perfectly balances the sound for where you are and what you're listening to.

Move features two Class-D digital amplifiers perfectly tuned to match the speaker drivers and acoustic architecture. It also has one downward-firing tweeter into a custom-designed waveguide that disperses sound evenly, along with one mid-woofer integrated into the cabinet for deep, rich bass.

Connect Move to the rest of your Sonos system at home on WiFi to stream music in one room or in sync with other speakers throughout your home. Play music, check news, set alarms, get your questions answered, and more, completely hands free with Alexa and the Google Assistant built right in. Switch to Bluetooth when you’re away from home or on the go and play music directly from your mobile device.

Details on Sonos Move:

• Move slides seamlessly into the included charging base and features an ergonomic handle, making it easy to pick up and carry.
  • Move has a tough durable shell and an IP56 rating, meaning it can stand up to falls, bumps, humidity, rain, dust, UV rays, and extreme heat and cold.
  • Responsive touch controls on the top of the speaker makes it easy to play, pause, skip, adjust the volume, and group rooms when on WiFi. There's also a mic button that can easily turn the microphones on or off.
  • Move also has a join button, power button, and WiFi/Bluetooth mode button on the back, just under the handle.

Power and battery:

Move’s battery will last for up to 10 hours of uninterrupted playback. If left off the charging base and unused, Move will automatically go into suspend mode to reserve battery for up to 5 days. The battery is rechargeable with an included indoor charging base or with any USB-C charger with the following output levels: 12V/3A, 15V/3A, or 20V/2.25A. After about three years, or 900 charges, Move’s battery can easily be replaced so you can keep listening for years to come.

Pre-order today on Sonos.com in shadow black for $399 US (€399 EUR), available worldwide starting September 24.
Awesome news Ryan!

I'm sure I will have more questions, but here's a few for now.

I noticed there aren't any accessories for the Move list on the site. Can we expect some to be posted soon? I'm thinking along the line of a carrying case or wall mounting options.

When in bluetooth mode, can the Move be used with phone calls? Can you use voice control through your phone in bluetooth mode? Since it is both a speaker and microphone array, seems like it would be possible, although I would not be surprised if the mic is just off in bluetooth mode.

What is Sonos recommendation on permanent placing the Move in an outdoor location?
Hi melvimbe, there will be more news on accessories in the future, none to share today.

When in Bluetooth mode, Move doesn't have the microphones active. The speaker won't be playing your phone call either, as it's not set up as a Bluetooth headset. That may be a feature to suggest to the team for the future though, they'd be interested in if there's enough demand for something like that. Move can get loud, with a wide sound stage, which may make taking calls on it pretty awkward.

What is Sonos recommendation on permanent placing the Move in an outdoor location?

While it's both durable and weather resistant, we wouldn't recommend permanently placing them outside. It's portable - designed to take where ever you go, but ultimately brought back home, so tying it down in the elements isn't quite recommended.
Finally! A rechargeable portable outdoor Sonos is available end of September.
Hi

is Move available in white?

can it be stereo paired with another Move in Bluetooth mode?

thanks
That’s my question too D)
Hi

is Move available in white?

can it be stereo paired with another Move in Bluetooth mode?

thanks

The Product Page is up for the Move, and I think it answers these questions. No mention of any color but black.

The FAQ section states:

Can I stereo pair Move?

Yes. You can pair two Moves on WiFi for stereo sound.

You could conclude that stereo pairing isn't available for bluetooth.
Thanks for jumping in, melvimbe! Right on all counts.

If you have a stereo pair of Moves and you grab one to take on the go, when they get out of range of each other (or one goes into Bluetooth mode), the pair will separate until they're brought back together.
Great news Sonos, definitely a speaker I was waiting for!
Can two of these be used in a surround configuration when on WiFi (like Sonos Ones can)?
Can two of these be used in a surround configuration when on WiFi (I.e. like Sonos Ones)?

Do you mean bonding it with a home theater Sonos speaker like a Beam? If so, no. Move is designed to be portable, and the portable nature of it makes more permanent pairing like as a home theater surround give a poor experience.

Can two of these be used in a surround configuration when on WiFi (I.e. like Sonos Ones)?Do you mean bonding it with a home theater Sonos speaker like a Beam? If so, no. Move is designed to be portable, and the portable nature of it makes more permanent pairing like as a home theater surround give a poor experience.

Yes that was exactly my question. Have some places where Sonos Ones are tough to permanently place. Would be cool to be able to bring these in when watching a movie or something. Running out of room to place Sonos speakers!
Looks like the Move is exclusive to Sonos.com. Does anyone know why? When will it be in stores (besides Sonos.com) and on Amazon?

Can two of these be used in a surround configuration when on WiFi (I.e. like Sonos Ones)?Do you mean bonding it with a home theater Sonos speaker like a Beam? If so, no. Move is designed to be portable, and the portable nature of it makes more permanent pairing like as a home theater surround give a poor experience.
Yes that was exactly my question. Have some places where Sonos Ones are tough to permanently place. Would be cool to be able to bring these in when watching a movie or something. Running out of room to place Sonos speakers!

Never 🙂 You could always use a pair of these Sonos architectural speakers, ceiling or wall, with a Sonos Amp. It can be made as the rear surrounds for any of our home theater devices. Or two Amps can be used as a home theater setup for a 4.1 (more like 5.1 with the phantom center channel).
Our Sonos System runs via a sonos Bridge not WiFi - Will these speakers still work OK

We have WiFi outside
Our Sonos System runs via a sonos Bridge not WiFi - Will these speakers still work OK

We have WiFi outside

Move will connect to your house Wifi, not the Bridge's, but it'll sync with your system while on the network without issues. Also, you may want to try out your whole system on the house wireless, the Bridge is getting pretty old and modern routers will have better wireless performance. You may not notice any issues, but it certainly might be worth testing things out.
Looks like the Move is exclusive to Sonos.com. Does anyone know why? When will it be in stores (besides Sonos.com) and on Amazon?

The preorder is on Sonos.com, but you'll see it showing up in stores and online when it becomes available for shipping.
How about a version without Alexa and Google.

I don’t mind using my phone and the great Sonos app if it knocked the price down a bit.😀

I don’t mind using my phone and the great Sonos app if it knocked the price down a bit.😀

Being that the price between the new Sonos One SL (no voice control ) and Sonos One (w/voice control) is $20, I don't think it would really knock the price of the Move down very much.

The SL One is only $20 cheaper than the One. Sonos places so little value on voice control I don't think it would drive the price down much, though I like where you are going with it.

The SL One is only $20 cheaper than the One. Sonos places so little value on voice control I don't think it would drive the price down much, though I like where you are going with it.

So little value? Since the echo dot costs $50, often much less, it's really hard to charge much more for voice control no matter what value Sonos may think it is.

If it didn't have the microphones for voice control, it wouldn't be able to use Automatic Trueplay tuning. Definitely a feature worth the price of the microphones if you ask me.
So I could have this thing setting on the base, using it, and then pick it up and take it outside for the evening?

I may have to buy one ASAP. I was going to install some in-ground speakers and do it thataway.

So little value? Since the echo dot costs $50, often much less, it's really hard to charge much more for voice control no matter what value Sonos may think it is.

.... which is exactly my point. Taking voice control out of the Move isn't going to drop the price $100.

.... which is exactly my point. Taking voice control out of the Move isn't going to drop the price $100.

I was mostly commenting on the 'so little value' aspect of your comment. I don't think of 'value' and 'cost/price' to be the same thing.

I was mostly commenting on the 'so little value' aspect of your comment. I don't think of 'value' and 'cost/price' to be the same thing.

Clearly you understood my point. I have no interest in engaging in a semantic argument. What a great place this is.