Software News

Introducing S2, New App and OS for Sonos

Introducing S2, New App and OS for Sonos

Show first post

181 replies

Ok, but do the diagnostics work, if you cannot connect to the sonos system? Presummably if it can't find anything, the diagnostics can't work.  I can run everything else off my wi-fi.  On the google play app store comments, there seem to be lots of people with the issue with sonos 2.

So what is the user experience if I have a mixture of new and old equipment which is going to be the majority of us for some time.  Do I have to use one app for the S1 equipment and then the newer S2 for the newer equipment?  How do I sync playing music across that ecosystem?  Thanks

Bose is making good products. When my old sonos unsupported products become unusable, I will make the switch. I have invested about 4k in Sonos bit no more. 

Bose is making good products. When my old sonos unsupported products become unusable, I will make the switch. I have invested about 4k in Sonos bit no more. 

Bose recently abandoned an entire lineup of smart speakers that were less than a decade old design, replacing them with a new Alexa capable lineup that is 100% incompatible with the old.  Even worse, these older model speakers were sold right up until the day they dropped them.  You literally could have bought a speaker one day, and the very next day your speaker was obsolete; incapable of working with any future Bose devices.  

So, good luck with Bose.  

For me the question is what is an alternative to buying sonos speakers now? I want a distribution system which does not need me to upgrade the actual speakers every few years as that looks like the way its going. Am I better off buying a quality amp and using a different service for distribution?

Badge +1

For me the question is what is an alternative to buying sonos speakers now? I want a distribution system which does not need me to upgrade the actual speakers every few years as that looks like the way its going. Am I better off buying a quality amp and using a different service for distribution?

Tricky isn’t it?

I’m going back to hi-fi. I've been listening to a friend’s hifi recently and I’d forgotten how much better it sounds anyway. Streaming, bluetooth etc are no longer the sole domain of smart speakers. You can get plenty of streaming boxes, bluetooth receivers, active speakers that can make up a hifi system that sounds way better than Sonos ever could. Second-hand amps and speakers are often incredible value.

Looking where I’ve got my Sonos right now, it wouldn’t be the end of the world if a few more wires were involved. And do I really need just one controller for the whole house? TBH - no I don’t.  I can invest a bit into the speakers and they will still be producing great sound in 20 years.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Just like KEF LS50 ?