Answered

There was a problem adding alexa

• 31 October 2021
  • 17 replies

• Contributor I
  • 7 replies

Hi,

Been trying for days to get alexa working on my two Sonos Ones. It had been working reasonably well for a couple of years but recently tried out Google assistant (which I can add just fine) and now when I go to re-set up Alexa in Voice Services in the Sonos S1 App (Huawei Mate 20 Pro, v 11.2.12 - have also tried on another android tablet running the same version of the S1 software with the same results)  after selecting the rooms, I press the black “Sign in to Amazon” button but can’t get any further, only get the grey spinning wheel and then “There was a problem adding Alexa”

I’ve tried:

• Everything from these two threads:
  • Disabling my firewall
  • Signing out of all other Amazon apps on my phone
  • Disabling and reenabling the Alexa Sonos skill
  • Removing the devices and re-adding them in the Alexa App
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling the Sonos and Alexa Apps
  • Power cycling the router and the Sonos devices

I suspect the issue is something to do with the Sonos app not launching the browser to allow me to sign in to Amazon but we’re all on android devices in the house so haven’t tried the iOS version and I don’t think you can add voice services to Sonos using the PC controller.

I have also tried contacting Sonos support but there are no live agents available right now etc.

Does anybody have any other ideas???

icon

Best answer by Kanj 31 October 2021, 16:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Can you make sure that you have logged out of any other Amazon accounts on your device before trying to add Alexa?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The other thing to check is to open the Sonos App>settings>Services & Voice.  Is Amazon Alexa listed?  If so, please select and then Enable on your two Sonos One’s.  

Hi, thanks for the replies.

I've tried logging out of the Amazon shopping and app store apps on my phone that I'm using the Sonos controller on if that's what you meant?

Also, I'm going to the Sonos App > Settings > Services & Voice but there is nothing listed under the Voice heading so I choose + Add a Service > Amazon Alexa > Add to Sonos > [the Sonos One I'm trying to add Alexa to] > Add Amazon Alexa > Sign in to Amazon which is when I get the error.

Any other ideas?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

A long shot but please look at my article: Tips & Tricks - Resolving random issues impacting Sonos devices.. | Sonos Community

Thanks, yes I allocated all seven of my Sonos products static IP addresses in my Lan a long time ago as I was having issues with them dropping out occasionally.

Is there any other way to add Alexa other than through the Sonos app?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks, yes I allocated all seven of my Sonos products static IP addresses in my Lan a long time ago as I was having issues with them dropping out occasionally.

Nope.

Try powering your Sonos One’s  off for 10 secs and then retry.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Having said that, yes there is!

Oops! 

Open the Alexa App>Settings>Skills and Enable the Sonos skill.

Really appreciate you continuing to take the time to provide suggestions.

I've enabled the Sonos skill in the Alexa app but that doesn't enable Alexa on the specific Sonos products, they still show up as Sonos speakers rather than Alexa devices in the Alexa app like they used to when I had Alexa working on them both.

I've powered off the two Sonos ones, rebooted the router and my phone again for good measure while the Sonos's were disconnected, then plugged in one Sonos one and tried to enable Alexa again on the Sonos app but still getting the same error :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Now that the skill is enabled.  Please open the Sonos App>settings>Services & Voice>Amazon Alexa.  You should be able to Enable the devices now.

Unfortunately not, the Alexa skill has been enabled the whole time (I had Alexa working on the two Sonos units for quite a long time). I have tried disabling and renabling it but it made no difference. I've also tried removing the Sonos units from the Alexa app and 'rediscovering' them but again no difference....

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Unfortunately not, the Alexa skill has been enabled the whole time (I had Alexa working on the two Sonos units for quite a long time). I have tried disabling and renabling it but it made no difference. I've also tried removing the Sonos units from the Alexa app and 'rediscovering' them but again no difference....

That’s really strange is GA still shown under Voice & Services?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Please see another thread: there was a problem adding alexa sonos - Gen 1 | Sonos Community

I wonder if there is an Alexa Sonos issue currently - although it’s not showing up on the status page: Sonos Status

Google Assistant isn't listed but I'm able to successfully add it to the Sonos Ones (the Sonos app manages to open the GA app at the point where it fails to open the Amazon sign in page)

Please see another thread: there was a problem adding alexa sonos - Gen 1 | Sonos Community

I wonder if there is an Alexa Sonos issue currently - although it’s not showing up on the status page: Sonos Status

Thanks, yes I noticed that, although I have been trying to get Alexa on one of my units for a couple of weeks. I only removed it from the other to see whether I could re-add and check if it was an issue with the Sonos unit itself but since I can't add it to either, it must be a software issue.

I tried the Sonos chat but couldn't get anyone on it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Probably best if you submit a diagnostic in this thread and Sonos can investigate it tomorrow.

I’ve fixed this so will leave this here in case it helps someone in the future:

I managed to get Sonos support on chat but they weren’t able to help me and referred me to the ‘phone support’ team.

However, that triggered me to think about the devices I had tried to set Alexa up from. Both phones and the tablet I had tried were Huawei devices. My daughter has a really old LG phone so I thought I would try that. When i installed the sonos app, it told me that the version of Android wasn’t supported but let me in regardless and I was then successfully able to add Alexa to my two Sonos Ones.

Not sure what it is about the Huawei version of Android that doesn’t allow the Sonos App to link to the Amazon login page but having spent a good chunk of my Sunday on this, I’m very glad it’s sorted :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’ve fixed this so will leave this here in case it helps someone in the future:

I managed to get Sonos support on chat but they weren’t able to help me and referred me to the ‘phone support’ team.

However, that triggered me to think about the devices I had tried to set Alexa up from. Both phones and the tablet I had tried were Huawei devices. My daughter has a really old LG phone so I thought I would try that. When i installed the sonos app, it told me that the version of Android wasn’t supported but let me in regardless and I was then successfully able to add Alexa to my two Sonos Ones.

Not sure what it is about the Huawei version of Android that doesn’t allow the Sonos App to link to the Amazon login page but having spent a good chunk of my Sunday on this, I’m very glad it’s sorted :)

Great news :)