Question

Sonos / Alexa / Tunein

• 25 October 2019
  • 15 replies

My system has worked perfectly dince i first installed it, but over the past few weeks I've lost the ability to call up radio stations. for example saying “Alexa play Heart Kent" when I was in the Kitchen to my Dot in the kitchen would result in my kitchen Sonos speakers bursting into life with Heart Kent.

Now when I say Alexa play Heart Kent, I am told "I could not find a station named Heart Kent", If i say Play heart kent in the Kitchen again im told "I could not find a station named Heart Kent"

If I say Play Tunein then the last station I tuned into is played through the dot, if I say play tunein in Kitchen it plays over my kitchen speakers

This is really annoying  so any advice would be appreciated. Also I am running Sonos over its own network (plugging one speaker into the router) 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I wonder if this is linked to the BBC pulling their Radio stations from TuneIn via voice.  Are you able to play the station via the Sonos App?

One option is to follow the steps I posted in the Answer of this post: https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/alexa-and-bbc-6831167

Hi yes the Sonos app is absolutely fine, strangely If I say to Alexa play Tunein in Kitchen so tells me she is going to the last Tunein station and plays perfectly

Try going to your Alexa App, disable the Sonos skill then re-enable it.

I assume you have an Alexa group in which your kitchen dot is the Alexa device and the Kitchen Sonos is the preferred speaker? If so then you might try deleting that group and setting it up again. 

Also, ask Alexa to discover devices. 

To answer another point from your original post,  it makes no difference to this whether you are running in SonosNet or wifi mode.

Hi I've tried disabling, and re enabling and also deleting and re installing, but have the problem remains.

I have the same problem on all of my groups and also on a spot, that only works on its own 

Is your Dot called 'Kitchen ' or 'Kitchen Dot' or what?

Im running Sonos Net, I was running wifi mode before it worked fine, then it worked for a month or so on sonos net then stopped

As I said, the Sonos networking paths are irrelevant to this issue.

I just tried an experiment and could play Heart Kent without difficult by voice command in the Bedroom, which seems to be the same setup as your kitchen (Dot + Sonos Speaker).  Please confirm what your relevant Alexa group is called, and what devices it has as the Alexa device, speakers and preferred speaker?  Please give the names of each.

Hi in the kitchen I have a dot, called Kitchen Dot, controlling two Sonos Play one’s in a stereo pair called Kitchen, in the bedroom i have a spot on its own, I also have a dot in the louge (Lounge dot) and Play 3 (Lounge) and in the dining room (Dining room Dot) and a play three (Dining Room) I have the same problem with all these  groups and the stand alone spot

Please confirm that you have set Sonos as preferred speakers.in these groups?  I am just trying to make sure you have your groups set up correctly and you are not providing the information needed and requested.

You should have an Alexa group called Kitchen, with the Alexa device as Kitchen Dot, Kitchen as the speaker and Kitchen also as the preferred speaker.  Is that what you have?

Actually, I notice that all my Alexa groups are named differently from the Sonos speakers themselves.  If nothing else works, you might try renaming the the Sonos pair to ‘Kitchen Sonos’, making that the preferred speaker for the Alexa Group ‘Kitchen’. 

Hi John Lets try the change thanks for the advice

Hi John B, tried that exactly the same problem persists, so I've reverted back to the original config

Sorry it didn’t help.  I am at a loss as to why your setup is giving problems and mine works fine, as I haven’t been able to identify any differences.  I can only suggest trying Sonos phone support.