'Play everywhere' headache with Alexa

• 3 January 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi all, 

Having a bit of mare - and don’t really know where to start with explaining - but I’ll try!

TL;DR:
I want individual voice control of each room speaker & ‘play everywhere’, but, at the moment that’s not working.

Setup:

• Sonos 1 and ZP90 in living room
  • Play: 1 in bedroom
  • Play: 1 in kitchen
  • On S1 OS because of the connect

What I want:

• Individual Alexa control of what plays in each room (from the only alexa device, the Sonos 1 in the living room)
  • Play ‘everywhere’ if I want to combine it all into one, big, loud sonos-fest

What I’m getting:

• Individual control of what plays in each room UNTIL the moment I instruct it to play everywhere. That works beautifully, but then returning to individual control of rooms stops. It plays on an individual speaker, but the wrong one. For example… play ‘xyz’ on living room will prompt the response ‘playing xyz on living room’, but it’ll appear in the bedroom.

It’s taken a good few hours of my life so far! I thought it was an echo messing things up, but even taking that out of the equation (and removing sonos skill etc from alexa app before disconnecting it) still throws up this weird issue. 

Any advice would be so greatly appreciated - I really want this to work!!!

Mike

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Although some of the terminology has changed, my post here explains how grouping works with Alexa:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/an-overview-and-explanation-of-the-new-support-for-alexa-grouping-6817788