Answered

Pairing Beam and Echo Dot

• 28 January 2019
  • 5 replies

Hi - I've seen a couple of different answers on this. Can an Echo Dot be paired with the Sonos Beam and if so, what functionality can be used between them when paired?

I note a couple of other questions which state they can't sync any playback, but then other forum posts suggests they can be paired. Clarification would be great, thanks.
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 28 January 2019, 15:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Not sure what they mean by Paired. They can play music together now, in Sync I believe, but why you'd want to do that as the dot is a rubbish speaker, although the current fabric one is better than the hockey puck. Grouping of Sonos and Alexa devices was updated a month or so back and is now very good. But beware as you need to be careful with set up within alexa to get the best out of it.

Alexa devices cannot be paired as Sonos speakers to be used as surrounds, if that was what you were after.
Not sure what they mean by Paired. They can play music together now, in Sync I believe,

This is incorrect. You cannot play Sonos and Echo speakers in sync together.

You can use Alexa groups to set up some default actions when speaking to an echo.
- Have the sonos speakers automatically duck it's volume when speaking to the echo (although it won't duck if the Beam is playing TV audio)
- Set your Sonos speaker(s) as preferred speakers for an echo. This means that requests to play streaming audio will automatically play on the Sonos speaker instead of your echo.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/sonos-now-playing-with-alexa-groups-6817588

These features work really well when 'pairing' an echo dot with a Sonos speaker that doesn't have built in Alexa in the same room, say a dot and a playbar for example. A dot and a beam would likely not be that useful.
Thanks - you can see my issue with inconsistent answers on this question!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Thanks Melvimbe for that clarification. There have been a number of changes with multi room, I thought the sync issue had been addressed as part of that. To the OP, apologies for the confusion. The key being that you will not get music playing from an alexa device to sync with Sonos. However an "Alexa enabled" Sonos device (such as a One or Beam) will be in sync with other Sonos speakers .
Thanks to both!