Answered

Changing Sonos "wake word" (Sonos Arc with Sub 3)

• 8 October 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

I have many Amazon Echo devices (made by Amazon and by others) and I can change the wake word on all of them (I prefer Echo and really dislike Alexa in part because we have a young child with that name). When I ask any other device to change the wake word, they do it. When I ask Sonos, it says “you are unable to do that on this device.” SO FRUSTRATING.

I will probably install a Fire TV stick and avoid using Sonos for voice commands.

icon

Best answer by Paul A 8 October 2020, 16:55

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @jjb2020.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand your frustration with the situation and would like to help out.

Currently, changing the wake word of Amazon Alexa on Sonos is not yet a supported feature. However, Let me send this up to our engineering team as a feature request. I would suggest subscribing to this thread and our announcement topic for any feature releases, feature updates, and bug fixes.

Please do not hesitate to reach out or create a new topic if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help out.

Thanks,

According to amazon the only way this will change is if everyone requests it via the help section in the alexa app

" We always try to improve our Customers experience, please submit your feedback about this in your Alexa app. Go to Settings, Help & Feedback, Provide Feedback and follow the on screen directions."

Hi @jjb2020.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand your frustration with the situation and would like to help out.

Currently, changing the wake word of Amazon Alexa on Sonos is not yet a supported feature. However, Let me send this up to our engineering team as a feature request. I would suggest subscribing to this thread and our announcement topic for any feature releases, feature updates, and bug ffixes

Hello, could I please put in a request for this fix as well. It's confusing to have different words in the house. I too have an issue with the word Alexa.

Much appreciated.

I’d like to request this feature too.

Yep, me too. I’d like to be able to change the wake word from Alexa.

Same here. Allow us to change the wake name. It’s just code and an update. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Isn’t this a restriction on the Amazon side? Not sure I have seen a third party Alexa speaker that can change the wake word.

I know you can change it on Echo devices.

I suppose you could get use echo dots and change the default speaker for the room to the Sonos.

that would get around the issue, but it is a bit of a faff

It would be convenient to have the ability to change Sonos Alexa Wake word