Answered

Amazon Echo / Dot and Sonos Integration

• 14 September 2016
  • 190 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

190 replies

Badge +2
no news about this ?
when shall we see the beta ?
When they feel like the software is in a state to be tested?
Badge +2
great reply. now you are a Sonos hero.
but I remember a statement about "beta at the end of 2016 , live in 2017"
I don't recall that specific quote, but being involved with software development, as well as many betas, I've always taken that kind of marketing speak with a grain of salt. The simple fact is, at the beginning of a development process, they have an idea/plan as to when things will come together. However, also in software development, there's an adage, attributed to Field Marshall Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf, that says "No battleplan ever survives contact with the enemy." It's as true in software as it is in war. And just because some wonk said X date doesn't mean that there's a 100% chance of them being correct. Sometimes software takes a turn for the "wha?", and it takes a while to work through the issues. I suspect just as soon as they are able, they'll start the beta. I really don't think that they're holding back anything, just to get a rise out of us. But I'm also fairly sure that "is it done yet" posts, over, and over, ad nauseam don't really provide anything useful, other than to irritate the folks who moderate (and read) these boards. And frankly, the engineers I work with don't take kindly to having their elbows joggled with "the customer wants it now!". They're busy trying to make it ready for the customer.

And I reject the nomination as hero. I'm just an experienced software development person, familiar with these types of situations.
Badge +2
Dear Friend,

First of all I am not very far to software development. Actually I am working on telecommunication area but as a hobby I develop Android and Tizen apps. Of course these type of apps are not to be compared with any Sonos feature development. Developing such features is a very huge work compared to my hobby.

But the statement I've written is not a certain date. Beta was supposed to arrive at december 2016. Now nearly 3 months have passed. Of course, I am worried. Maybe they have dropped the project for some reason ?
So I would be very happy if some Sonos authorative person could take up the subject and inform their customers.

Sonos produces high quality products and their price is not low. So they have a rather valuable customer base. If I were Sonos, I would not let the customer base stay in doubt.

I don't expect them to release the software/feature when we ask for it. But I expect an explanation and a schedule...
[...] But the statement I've written is not a certain date. Beta was supposed to arrive at december 2016. Now nearly 3 months have passed. Of course, I am worried. Maybe they have dropped the project for some reason ?
So I would be very happy if some Sonos authorative person could take up the subject and inform their customers.

Here's a kind of official statement regarding Sonos Direct Control, however, drawing a parallel I'd say the beta will take place when both sides, Amazon & Sonos, are ready for action. Besides, didn't you just say "Developing such features is a very huge work […]"? So let them do their job.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos doesn't give exact timetables for all the reasons you mentioned. Unlike some of their competitors, when they say they are doing something they do it.

Last I checked, it is still 2017. Seems like they are right on target.

Seriously, Sonos doesn't give specific dates for the very reason that if they were to predict March of 2017, you would be here today saying "Where is it!!!???" Instead, Sonos keeps quiet and relies upon internal software testing goals, rather than publicly announced dates. Both the public and Sonos benefits from this, in that their software is tested properly before release. Unless you would rather it be released when the public expects it, regardless of whether it actually works?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
HEOS the ever Sonos wanna be copycat after Sonos announced did announce they will have Alexa compatibility too. And they said in the 1st quarter of this year. So they have 30 days to role it out. But then ... they always say things then break promises. So which would you rather have. Sonos not tell you specific timeframe ... or tell you the timing and then miss it (or in HEOS case drop the feature all together and say sorry we really can't do it).

Hmmmm....
Didn't someone here switch to HEOS because they were promised a Windows Phone app was in the works?

How's that working out for them? (Though they probably never actually switched. Nobody really does.)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
or that Google Chromecast support they were going to roll out.
(Though they probably never actually switched. Nobody really does.)
I'm always amused by the "... or the bunny gets it" threats.
Sonos doesn't give exact timetables for all the reasons you mentioned. Unlike some of their competitors, when they say they are doing something they do it.
To whom is this addressed? 😉
Badge +2

Last I checked, it is still 2017. Seems like they are right on target.

Seriously, Sonos doesn't give specific dates for the very reason that if they were to predict March of 2017, you would be here today saying "Where is it!!!???" Instead, Sonos keeps quiet and relies upon internal software testing goals, rather than publicly announced dates. Both the public and Sonos benefits from this, in that their software is tested properly before release. Unless you would rather it be released when the public expects it, regardless of whether it actually works?

actually it is still 2017 but the beta would take on 2016...
Sonos doesn't give specific dates but that does not prevent me from saying "where is it ?" because although not specific, they had sort of a statement/promise.

and I would rather prefer them release a beta buggy or incomplete. (that's my own preference, not everybody would prefer) some things may be developed while in beta.
Badge +2
HEOS the ever Sonos wanna be copycat after Sonos announced did announce they will have Alexa compatibility too. And they said in the 1st quarter of this year. So they have 30 days to role it out. But then ... they always say things then break promises. So which would you rather have. Sonos not tell you specific timeframe ... or tell you the timing and then miss it (or in HEOS case drop the feature all together and say sorry we really can't do it).

Hmmmm....

I don't know HEOS. I just learnt it now from your post. it seems Heos is a brand of Denon which I would trust.
if I knew Heos would support Alexa before I invested on 4 Sonos speakers, I would prefer Heos.
voice controlling is a very important feature for me...
and I really don't care if Heos misses the promissed date. at least they have a target (and commitment ?)
having no target means Sonos may drop the feature at all in any time...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Realize that this is also heavily reliant on amazons team and I think they are very busy with a lot of the plans for Alexa. Amazon is supposed to releasing a lot of things for Alexa including notifications which I'm looking forward too. But none of this is overnight work ... although it's a hot competition right now with Amazon and Google trying to become the interface of the connected home. We the consumers will benefit but only if they do it right. Half way done work will sour the public and voice control would lose its current momentum.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Heos doesn't just miss dates they actually don't even perform. They have previously announced several things like google chromecast support to only after a year of waiting tell customers they would not support (after people made purchase decisions and had the speakers for a year waiting).

As Sonos has said they are doing voice control I would far more trust Sonos then a press release from heos a week after Sonos saying "us too"

Hoes doesn't have any kind of public forum to take criticism or allow users to interact.

I don't know HEOS. I just learnt it now from your post. it seems Heos is a brand of Denon which I would trust.
if I knew Heos would support Alexa before I invested on 4 Sonos speakers, I would prefer Heos.
voice controlling is a very important feature for me...
and I really don't care if Heos misses the promissed date. at least they have a target (and commitment ?)
having no target means Sonos may drop the feature at all in any time...

I'm afraid history proves to be quite the opposite. So far, everything Sonos has ever pre-announced (Apple Music, Google Play Music, Spotify Connect, etc) has come to fruition, even though no specific dates were ever announced. On the other hand, numerous timelines/"commitments" have been given for HEOS upgrades, and those dates have come and gone with no sign of the new functions ever making it to release. Early last year HEOS made a "commitment" to bringing a Windows app and Google Chromecast compatibility to HEOS. Nothing but crickets since, and they only have a month to produce Alxea support, or they blow that "commitment" too.

So if you want those types of "commitments" or "timelines" feel free to switch to HEOS. If you want something actually delivered, stick with Sonos.

Sonos doesn't give specific dates but that does not prevent me from saying "where is it ?" because although not specific, they had sort of a statement/promise.

and I would rather prefer them release a beta buggy or incomplete. (that's my own preference, not everybody would prefer) some things may be developed while in beta.

Look at the announcement:

The companies will begin rolling out the experience through an invite-only beta test later this year, with general availability in 2017.

The beta scheduled for 2016 was "invite-only", aka a private beta. General availability will be in 2017. Pedantically, your complaints aren't valid until 2018. Realistically, you should at least wait until July.
Badge +2

Look at the announcement:

The companies will begin rolling out the experience through an invite-only beta test later this year, with general availability in 2017.

The beta scheduled for 2016 was "invite-only", aka a private beta. General availability will be in 2017. Pedantically, your complaints aren't valid until 2018. Realistically, you should at least wait until July.

haha that's good. 2018 or july 2017 :)
well then I can use some sort of middleware like smartthings & an amazon skill on raspberry pi.
that's already available. but I had trusted sonos to bring it early this year if not december 2016
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Actually not all crickets with HEOs....they actually put out a public statement that while they had announced and promised Google Cast compatibility they WOULD NOT introduce the functionality

haha that's good. 2018 or july 2017 :)
well then I can use some sort of middleware like smartthings & an amazon skill on raspberry pi.
that's already available. but I had trusted sonos to bring it early this year if not december 2016

Why in the world would you "trust" any company to bring something to market before they say they would? That's crazy. And doing it in the same thread in which you state "I really don't care if Heos misses the promissed (sic) date. at least they have a target" is even crazier!

So which is it? Are you upset because Sonos hasn't delivered by a date they never promised they would deliver by, or do you not care that another company misses dates they did promised they would deliver by? It's quite confusing. :8
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
My personal uninformed opinion on Sonos / Alexa integration would be some betas making there way after we see some major Alexa updates (some of what Amazon working on making its way out to Alexa - like their push notifications). I think watching Alexa improvements will give clues to more Sonos integration coming closer.
Actually not all crickets with HEOs....they actually put out a public statement that while they had announced and promised Google Cast compatibility they WOULD NOT introduce the functionality

True. My mistake.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
They'll release it when they think it's good enough and we'll all benefit from them doing their best to get it right. In the interim I shall enjoy the music I know and explore that which I do not.