Answered

Amazon Echo / Dot and Sonos Integration

• 14 September 2016
  • 190 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

190 replies

Thanks jgatie, I had actually seen that release. I was wondering if we had received any further indication on the exact dates. If it's not the case then fair enough, I look forward to it coming round though as we all surely do!
Sonos never gives concrete dates. Testing phases are too unpredictable to set a release date too far in advance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would expect private betas in January period and public betas by maybe mid to end February if I were to guess.
Would I need to wait until next year to buy an Amazon Dot with Sonos integration or can I buy one now and then update the software when it Sonos compatibility is available?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can buy a dot any time. If you have a play:5 now you can hook it to that to play through sonso in the interim. Or any other Sonos with input.
Hi, can an Echo be connected to a Playbar via optical, using a switch to double up the input for the TV?
Echo has not external output, Echo Dot only has analog output. You could do it with a ADC and a switch, but quite frankly it's a hack. You are probably better off waiting for the official integration.
Badge +2
is there any news about Sonos - Alexa integration ?
I'm not sure how we will be notified of this if we are not choosen for the Beta program.
Will it be a feature on Amazon's app, (adding Sonos from SmartHome menu) , or a feature on Sonos app ?
Actually, I don't get any notifications about changes on Amazon's app, so I am worried that I might miss the change...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
is there any news about Sonos - Alexa integration ?
I'm not sure how we will be notified of this if we are not choosen for the Beta program.
Will it be a feature on Amazon's app, (adding Sonos from SmartHome menu) , or a feature on Sonos app ?
Actually, I don't get any notifications about changes on Amazon's app, so I am worried that I might miss the change...

You're not going to miss it.

Sonos will sing it from the rafters
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

You're not going to miss it.

Sonos will sing it from the rafters

Agreed -- I just wish Sonos would start singing this tune!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It will be interesting to see how this is implemented. I doubt there will be any visible change to the Sonos app. More likely it is an Alexa Skill that needs adding or maybe a Smart Home Integration, but that would also still need the Skill to be implemented too.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Remember this isn't some basic skill it is a more in depth integration. So it is going to require a lot of work and testing probably before it sees the light of day.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Agree, but there may be little to show in the Sonos app other than maybe the ability to Add Amazon Alexa like other services.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Agree there won't be more than some settings most likely in the app
Alexa will need to communicate with some cloud service that tracks your player names, playlists, and favorites. Maybe that already exists with the new Sonos account scheme (not running current firmware so not familiar with what is going on there). I would expect you would need to add a Sonos skill in the Alexa app Smart Home setup page but there might not be any setup required on the Sonos side other than upgrading to a new firmware version.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
So do you think you will be able to use the built in Mic on the Sono's speakers or will you need an eco device?
So do you think you will be able to use the built in Mic on the Sono's speakers or will you need an eco device?

The microphone(s) on the Play:5 Gen. 2 is not a far-field microphone array like the Echo. With current Sonos players, you will need an Echo or Alexa device (Echo, Dot, Tap, Fire tablet, Fire TV, etc) to use voice control. Whether future Sonos player will incorporate their own far-field microphone array is unknown at this time.
Badge +1
Sorry if this redundant. But I can't tell from the comments. When the integration is complete, will you be able to add an Echo/Echo Dot as an additional speaker to the Sonos system?

I know the speaker quality of the Echo/Dot is not terrific. But I think being able to add an affordable speaker to smaller spaces would be a benefit. For instance, if i wanted to add a Dot to a closet, you would get the benefit of having music and Alexa. I don't need/want a high end speaker in that space. At least not one that costs $200+.
Sorry if this redundant. But I can't tell from the comments. When the integration is complete, will you be able to add an Echo/Echo Dot as an additional speaker to the Sonos system?

I know the speaker quality of the Echo/Dot is not terrific. But I think being able to add an affordable speaker to smaller spaces would be a benefit. For instance, if i wanted to add a Dot to a closet, you would get the benefit of having music and Alexa. I don't need/want a high end speaker in that space. At least not one that costs $200+.

I highly doubt this is even possible. Syncing between speakers takes a lot of real-time processing power and the processor in the Echos are meager at best; all their logic is processed in the cloud. Besides, Sonos probably would not enter a partnership where they would lose possible sales.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That is a good question. Currently Dot's don't do multiroom. Sonos does. But Amazon is working with Sonos direct in integration of the Dot to controlling Sonos. So we all know Dot controlling Sonos is coming ...... but ..... what if they went the other direction .... Sonos control Dot. While maybe far fetched, since they are working closely and Amazon needs the Dot to go multiroom .... just like we said why should Sonos create their own voice recognition .... why should Amazon create their own multiroom.

It doesn't seem that crazy. For Sonos it would build on the brand with all Dots being Sonos capable. The Dot even then becomes an affordable basic Connect (something Sonos needs to compete with the likes of Google Audio). With an Alexa dot you have a competitor to The Google Audio dongle. It would also give Sonos more exposure into every home with eventual upsell to full on Sonos speakers in house.

For Amazon - it gives it a stronger mutli-room then their competition like Google Home. This could be very important to them in winning the current major war brewing between who will be the home assistant of the future (we have ourselves a good old fashion Betamax vs. VHS storm brewing).

Fighting against all this - Amazon dots don't have the memory or processing power a normal Sonos speaker has (assuming). Everything playing to it will have to be coming from the cloud. How do you group a Dot room that normally could be done all via your local network when the Dot is getting all instruction via the cloud. How could you possibly sync them together (I guess its possible if Sonos would have ability to delay the other speakers if a dot joined the mix).

Probably far fetched and as I typed the technical hurdles seem pretty big. But a combo Sonos/Alexa music network would be pretty amazing.
Badge +1

I highly doubt this is even possible. Syncing between speakers takes a lot of real-time processing power and the processor in the Echos are meager at best; all their logic is processed in the cloud. Besides, Sonos probably would not enter a partnership where they would lose possible sales.

I cringe to even type this here, but I firmly believe the future will be Alexa integrated into Sonos speakers. Alexa (and Google Home) are already being added to all kinds of devices. Having both a Sonos and an Echo device to work together as one will seem redundant and dated.

I cringe because of the investment some have already made into their current Sonos and Echo devices, myself included. But such is the case with technology I guess.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
That is a good question. Currently Dot's don't do multiroom. Sonos does. But Amazon is working with Sonos direct in integration of the Dot to controlling Sonos. So we all know Dot controlling Sonos is coming ...... but ..... what if they went the other direction .... Sonos control Dot. While maybe far fetched, since they are working closely and Amazon needs the Dot to go multiroom .... just like we said why should Sonos create their own voice recognition .... why should Amazon create their own multiroom.

Confused, Yes you need a dot in multiple rooms so you can use it any where. That's why amazon sells 3 and 6 packs

Sono speakers do not have beam forming microphones so they can not work as a way to talk to Alexa
Badge +1
Currently Dot's don't do multiroom. Sonos does. But Amazon is working with Sonos direct in integration of the Dot to controlling Sonos. So we all know Dot controlling Sonos is coming ...... but ..... what if they went the other direction .... Sonos control Dot. While maybe far fetched, since they are working closely and Amazon needs the Dot to go multiroom .... just like we said why should Sonos create their own voice recognition .... why should Amazon create their own multiroom.

My thoughts exactly. If they both want to get a leg up on Google and Apple, this is the route they should go.

There's no doubt in my mind we'll see a Samsung (or some other major manufacturer) release wireless speakers with Google Home built in, in the near future.

Confused, Yes you need a dot in multiple rooms so you can use it any where. That's why amazon sells 3 and 6 packs

Sono speakers do not have beam forming microphones so they can not work as a way to talk to Alexa

What Chris means by "don't do multiroom" is they cannot play music in multiple rooms in perfect sync. That is what Sonos does, and for a Dot/Echo to be used as a Sonos speaker, it too would have to be capable of multi-room sync. Which as discussed, is not easily achievable with the processor contained in the Echo devices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Dot's do not do multiroom - i.e. they currently do not talk to each other. That Amazon has to implement. They don't do multiroom now they can just be located in multiple rooms.

When I say Sonos control Alexa I mean the Sonos application control Alexa. So if you want to play music you can actually group and play to Alexas just as if they were Sonos. Therefore Sonos becomes Alexas multiroom audio controller.