Question

Alexa wont skip to the next song

• 29 April 2020
  • 4 replies

When starting Amazon Music from Alexa it will not skip to the next song. It will do so when started from SONOS and even with Spotify. I have tried disabling and enabling and removing all my devices, resetting them then reinstalling and finally enabling the Alexa skill. Non of this works and it’s very frustrating and seem like SONOS is either doing it on purpose or ignoring all the threads on the SONOS community. Having a device that cannot skip or resume tracks defeats the purpose of having a smart voice enabled device in the first place. Otherwise, I will just connect my phone to my stereo with an auxiliary input and just do it myself knowing that this way WORKS 100%OF THE TIME

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @dapage75 

Is your question regarding Sonos or an Alexa device integrated with Sonos? A Sonos Play:1 does not have Alexa built-in. That feature belongs to the Sonos One. Click here to see and learn the differences.

FYI, my Sonos One with Alexa will play Amazon Music, pause/resume and skip songs.

Hi there! Good question. 

My sonos PLAY1 and CONNECTS are not integrated with Alexa built rather I use an Echo to control them. Everything was working perfectly until about 6 weeks ago when news of SONOS Radio launching occurred. Seems dubious

Userlevel 7

Hi there! Good question. 

My sonos PLAY1 and CONNECTS are not integrated with Alexa built rather I use an Echo to control them. Everything was working perfectly until about 6 weeks ago when news of SONOS Radio launching occurred. Seems dubious

Hi @dapage75 

OK...blame it on Sonos Radio :joy: LOL. Seriously, Sonos Radio is a service that you have to actually subscribe to (even though it’s free). Also, Sonos Radio didn’t go live until a little over a week ago.

I suggest you:

1. Unplug all Sonos
  2. Unplug your Alexa devices
  3. Unplug all wireless and wired clients to your router
  4. Sign-out of Alexa
  5. Check your routers admin page for updates and install if available
  6. Reboot your router
  7. Power cycle your iOS or Android device.
  8. Make sure your device and Sonos App are up-to-date
  9. Sign-into Alexa
  10. Disable and the re-enable the Sonos skill in the Alexa app
  11. Plug in Sonos 1x1 and let each come back B4 moving to the next
  12. Plug-in you Alexa devices and let each come back
  13. Plug-in your other wired and wireless clients 1x1
  14. Test your Sonos and Alexa

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

There does seem to be an intermittent issue with Next & Prior.  I’ve tried to help a few people experiencing this issue but could never replicate it myself - until 2 days ago. (Not sure that this was a good thing!)  Then, just by powering down and back on again the affected Sonos device, (a Beam) the issue has disappeared again.