Answered

Alexa skill "Sleeping Jar" no longer works properly since FW 15.6

• 27 July 2023
  • 2 replies

I am using the Alexa skill Sleeping Jar for many years now, and I'm using it on my Sonos devices since day 1 of the Alexa integration.

Since the recent FW update 15.6 the skill no longer works correctly. The noises of the skill are played back in an endless loop, meaning they play until you stop it. This worked perfectly fine also on Sonos devices, but after the recent FW update to version 15.6, the playback ends after one hour. I'm not sure if this is the length of one loop, or if it's a limit within the Sonos code, but it definitely is an issue introduced by Sonos FW 15.6. The issue is present on all my Sonos devices, while the skill works perfectly fine on my Echo devices.

I am aware of the potential alternatives within the Sonos universe - none of them is an alternative for me. Let alone that I'm paying for the Pro version of the skill.

Thanks for looking into this.

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 28 July 2023, 15:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @BigBlue007, welcome to the Sonos Community!

It’s possible that Sleep Jar have changed something on their end that conflicts with Sonos causing it to timeout after a certain amount of time. We can’t guarantee that third party skills will work with Alexa on Sonos as some features are exclusive to Amazon devices. However, I would recommend the following steps, testing the skill after each option:

• Remove and re-add the Sleep Jar skill in the Alexa app.
  • Remove and re-add the Sonos skill in the Alexa app.
  • Reboot your Sonos system and router by powering them off for around 30 seconds to 1 minute.
  • Remove and re-add Alexa to your Sonos system.

As we can’t provide support for third party Alexa skills, it would be worth reaching out to Amazon or Sleep Jar for additional information or help if the above steps don’t resolve this issue for you.

I hope this information helps!

Thanks Jamie!

I need to apologize myself. It has turned out that the issue is with the skill, because it also occurs on Echo devices. As I had noticed the issue for the first time on exactly the day when I installed Sonos FW 15.6, I was sure that this is the reason, but it’s not.

So no Sonos issue this time. :)