Recommended setup for my speakers

Userlevel 2
Badge

Good afternoon.

I hope that you are well.

I have a Netgear Orbi mesh network in my house (RBRE960 Quad-Band WiFi 6E Router - NETGEAR) so coverage should not be an issue.

I have the following speakers on my Sonos network.

Associated Product: 10.0.0.28

---------------------------------

Play:1: Dining Room (R)

Serial Number: *****************

Version: 15.6 (build 74043110)

Hardware Version: 1.20.1.6-2.2

Series ID: A200

IP Address: 10.0.0.36

WM: 0

Play:1: Dining Room (L)

Hardware Version: 1.8.3.7-2.2

Series ID: A101

IP Address: 10.0.0.44

OTP:

product: Dining Room

Hardware Version: 1.37.1.7-2.2

IP Address: 10.0.0.45

Sonos One: Family Room 2 (L)

Hardware Version: 1.26.1.7-2.2

Series ID: A201

IP Address: 10.0.0.28

product: Family Room 2 (R)

Hardware Version: 1.28.2.5-2.2

IP Address: 10.0.0.35

product: Family Room 2

Hardware Version: 1.37.1.7-2.1

IP Address: 10.0.0.33

Sonos One: Kitchen (R)

Hardware Version: 1.26.1.7-2.1

IP Address: 10.0.0.37

Sonos One: Kitchen (L)

Hardware Version: 1.26.1.7-2.1

IP Address: 10.0.0.38

product: Office (R)

Hardware Version: 1.28.2.5-2.2

IP Address: 10.0.0.42

Sonos One: Office (L)

Hardware Version: 1.21.1.8-2.2

Series ID: A100

IP Address: 10.0.0.41

product: Sub

Hardware Version: 1.32.1.7-2.1

Series ID: A202

IP Address: 10.0.0.43

Beam: TV Room

Hardware Version: 1.23.1.11-2.2

IP Address: 10.0.0.34

Audio In:

Play:1: TV Room (RS)

Hardware Version: 1.20.1.6-2.2

IP Address: 10.0.0.21

Play:1: TV Room (LS)

Hardware Version: 1.8.3.7-2.0

IP Address: 10.0.0.40

OTP:

The speakers are dropping connection intermittently part way through songs.  At least once a song.  There does not seem to be any particular pattern as to which speaker(s) cut out.  What is the recommended setup please?  All Wired where possible, or should all wireless work without issue (I would have thought that in 2023, this would be achievable).

Should I ideally be using SonosNet?  Not all speakers can be wired, so if I only connect some with wires, will all the other wireless speakers use SonosNet instead of my wifi network?  Does my Netgear Wifi need to be transmitting on a particular channel (does it need to match the channel of SonosNet?).

If it is easier, I can just factory reset everything and start again.  Any help would be much appreciated (as would being able to successfully listen to at least one song playing on all speakers at the same time without dropouts, haha).

Jimmy

Moderator Note: Removed Serial Number of products, considered Private Information. Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

First, don’t reset anything. It won’t help, and could easily lead to more problems.

SonosNet uses its own 2.4GHz/20MHz channel, either 1, 6 or 11. You should also set your router/mesh 2.4GHz channel to 20MHz (not 40MHz or 20/40), using only channel 1, 6 or 11. Ideally choose a channel different from SonosNet, but in heavily congested situations you may have to share a channel between WiFi and SonosNet.

If you wish to persevere with SonosNet, describe how/where Sonos units are wired to the network. Better still, go to http://x.x.x.x:1400/support/review, open Network Matrix and take a screenshot. x.x.x.x is the IP of any player. Note that wiring Sonos units to wireless WiFi mesh nodes is not recommended.

Alternatively you might want to try running your system on the Orbi mesh. See here for directions: https://support.sonos.com/article/switch-sonos-between-a-wireless-and-wired-setup

As a matter of interest, what kind of pairings do you have in Dining Room, Family Room 2, Office and also for TV Room’s surrounds? The L-R model numbers look to be dissimilar.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I also have dissimilar L+R P1’s (A200 + A101), but no dropouts, I think its just a revision of H/W?

I also have dissimilar L+R P1’s (A200 + A101), but no dropouts, I think its just a revision of H/W?

Could well be. The builds were perhaps separated significantly in time and/or place. Slightly odd that some show as “product”. I don’t suppose it’s relevant.

Userlevel 2
Badge

First, don’t reset anything. It won’t help, and could easily lead to more problems.

SonosNet uses its own 2.4GHz/20MHz channel, either 1, 6 or 11. You should also set your router/mesh 2.4GHz channel to 20MHz (not 40MHz or 20/40), using only channel 1, 6 or 11. Ideally choose a channel different from SonosNet, but in heavily congested situations you may have to share a channel between WiFi and SonosNet.

If you wish to persevere with SonosNet, describe how/where Sonos units are wired to the network. Better still, go to http://x.x.x.x:1400/support/review, open Network Matrix and take a screenshot. x.x.x.x is the IP of any player. Note that wiring Sonos units to wireless WiFi mesh nodes is not recommended.

Alternatively you might want to try running your system on the Orbi mesh. See here for directions: https://support.sonos.com/article/switch-sonos-between-a-wireless-and-wired-setup

Thank you for the reply, much appreciated.

This is actually a setup for a relative so I am acting as the middle man here.  I will definitely try and get the network map over when I go round to the house next (probably tomorrow).

So to clarify, the network hardware has recently been upgraded in the house from using Tenda Nova WiFi Mesh boxes, to using the Netgear Orbi devices I mentioned in my original post.

The SSID of the Orbis was set to match the SSID of the previous Tenda Nova SSID (as well as the WiFi password) in an attempt to not have to connect all the household devices back to the network.  Is there a possibility that some of the speakers may still be retaining some of the old network information due to the SSIDs being the same?

Prior to receiving the Orbis, all of the Sonos system was running over Wifi.  I only plugged one of the devices into one of the Orbi satellites today whilst trying to troubleshoot the dropout issues.

The dropouts were happening consistently prior to upgrading from Tenda Nova to Orbi too, by the way.

So considering the capability of the Netgear Orbi products in the house now, would it still be advisable to go with the SonosNet route?

If so, I see you mentioned that you shouldn't plug a speaker directly into a wireless mesh node.  In that case are you referring to the satellites, the main Orbi router, or both?

The network topology is as follows :-

BT Business Smart Hub 2 - Set in Bridge Mode

The main Orbi router is plugged into port 1 of the BT Hub.  The Orbi has been configured to use the bthomehub@btbroadband.com username in order to connect to the internet.

There are two Orbi satellites placed around the house.

In terms of network congestion, there are just over 20 devices connected to the network, including the Sonos speakers.

I recall that before I plugged in one of the speakers to the Orbi Satellite, that the SonosNet option within the Sonos iphone app was greyed out, which is as to be expected I believe.

I will get the other information over as soon as possible.

Thanks again.

Jimmy

The SSID of the Orbis was set to match the SSID of the previous Tenda Nova SSID (as well as the WiFi password) in an attempt to not have to connect all the household devices back to the network.  Is there a possibility that some of the speakers may still be retaining some of the old network information due to the SSIDs being the same?

Presumably everything was rebooted, so as to pick up fresh IP info from the Orbi router. In that case the only network info retained in the system is the original SSID/password.

So considering the capability of the Netgear Orbi products in the house now, would it still be advisable to go with the SonosNet route?

I suggest you try both SonosNet and ‘wireless’ (WiFi) modes.

When using SonosNet mode only wire to the main Orbi, unless the satellites have wired backhaul. Wireless backhaul in a mesh WiFi doesn’t get along with SonosNet (and vice versa) if Sonos units are wired to the mesh satellites.

Locate Sonos units at least 50cm (ideally 100cm) from any WiFi node. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Presumably everything was rebooted, so as to pick up fresh IP info from the Orbi router. In that case the only network info retained in the system is the original SSID/password.

I suggest you try both SonosNet and ‘wireless’ (WiFi) modes.

When using SonosNet mode only wire to the main Orbi, unless the satellites have wired backhaul. Wireless backhaul in a mesh WiFi doesn’t get along with SonosNet (and vice versa) if Sonos units are wired to the mesh satellites.

Locate Sonos units at least 50cm (ideally 100cm) from any WiFi node. 

Thanks.

Yes everything was rebooted to pick up the new network information from the Orbis.

When you say try both SonosNet and WiFi, are they mutually exclusive?  As in try and setup all the speakers utilising SonosNet and it that does not work, then try the purely WiFi approach with no speakers plugged in via Ethernet.  Or is it is a case that you can have a hybrid approach with some speakers hard wired and others connecting to those wired speakers via SonosNet?

It is not possible to hardwire every speaker in the house due to their location so there will be a mix of wired and wireless speakers.

Let's assume that I power all the speakers off.  I then hard wire one of the speakers to the main Orbi hub and power it on.

What are the next sequence of events to follow please for the remaining speakers to get them all to utilise SonosNet?  Is it literally a case of powering the remaining speakers back on or further configuration required on each speaker to then connect them to SonosNet please?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@jimmymcmahon 

If at least one device is wired (excluding Eras) then SonosNet mode is triggered. Any wireless devices will connect using the SonosNet mesh.

If no devices are wired (again irrespective of Eras) then the system operates in ‘wireless’ mode, using WiFi. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks again all.

"SonosNet uses its own 2.4GHz/20MHz channel, either 1, 6 or 11. You should also set your router/mesh 2.4GHz channel to 20MHz (not 40MHz or 20/40), using only channel 1, 6 or 11. Ideally choose a channel different from SonosNet, but in heavily congested situations you may have to share a channel between WiFi and SonosNet."

Is the router change for the 2.4GHz channel recommended for both SonosNet and WiFi setups or is it just specific to the SonosNet setup?

Is the router change for the 2.4GHz channel recommended for both SonosNet and WiFi setups or is it just specific to the SonosNet setup?

Primarily for SonosNet mode, so it and the WiFi can happily coexist. But those are sensible ‘hygiene’ rules for WiFi anyway.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi all.

I hope that you are well.

I attempted to the following setup :-

The 2.4Ghz Wifi network on the Orbi has been set to Channel 1.

Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence has been turned off.

One Sonos device plugged into Netgear router, which enabled SonosNet on Channel 6.

All other Sonos devices were then power cycled in an attempt to pick up the network changes.

The same dropout on songs is being experienced.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Jimmy

Is the Orbi 2.4GHz set to 20MHz width? Netgears usually default to 40MHz.

With 20/40 MHz Coexistence OFF it could well be fighting with SonosNet’s channel 6. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Is the Orbi 2.4GHz set to 20MHz width? Netgears usually default to 40MHz.

With 20/40 MHz Coexistence OFF it could well be fighting with SonosNet’s channel 6. 

Hi mate, here are the settings, if this helps.  I can’t see anything specific in the settings that allows me to absolutely specify that the 2.4Ghz channel is running at 20Mhz.

Many thanks

Jimmy

Gaah! It looks like Netgear have dumbed things down even more.

Turn Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence back on,

Userlevel 2
Badge