Question

Music Library Structure

• 27 December 2017
  • 5 replies

I am setting up a FLASH USB drive to hold my music as a NAS attached to my router because I dont have a computer on all the time. My current windows Music file is 360GB but has lots of redundant files. The master folder, Music, contains six folders, Album, All Tracks, Artist, Folder, Genre and Playlists many of which copy the MP4s - so each track is copied around 5-6 times. I'm curious whether I need to retain all the folders which would require a larger thumb drive. What would I lose if I did not copy over the Album folder for example. I presume the folders serve to make it easier to list tracks by album and artist and genre but am curious since some of the information is also in the file metadata. Would love some advice

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Certainly not necessary to retain more than one copy of each file. The search terms are imported via the tags, not the folder structure.
Thanks, jgatie! If I look at ''properties'' in one of the MP4 files, I dont see the album title. Is that embedded in the file but just not visible in details? I am just curious. Also curious as to where the album cover art is stored as it shows up in the sonos player...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you use a tag editor you will be able to see all the tags and add any you need.

I keep my music in a simple arrangement, folders by artist with sub folders for albums that contain the music files. For multi disk sets I put each disk in a sub-folder of the album.
Thanks all. I am thinking that iTunes caused all these duplicates for some reason. Glad to rid myself of many gigbytes of space on my pc...
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
As said Sonos goes by the tags first, I had a hell of a time with a few albums, turned out there was multiple tags associated with the files and the program I was using to edit left reminents of the originals.

Can't remember off hand the tag editor that showed all info but MP3tag missed some of it which caused problems.