Question

Configuration of Sonos in living room Beam+Sonos Port.

• 26 January 2021
  • 1 reply

• Contributor II
  • 5 replies

Hi all,

I am considering to make a Sonos set up as below, could You tell me if it will works properly?

TV+Sonos Beam (connected HDMI ARC) and also to the ethernet by RJ45

Sonos Port (connected to the ethernet by RJ45) + 2 incelling speakers in the back of room.

1. It is possible to make on system of it?
  2. Autoplay - If i say to google assistance: Turn on TV will it automaticly play music on all speakers (beam+incelling system)
  3. Do You think it will be any voice delay in this configuration? Lip sync?
  4. If I just need to play music without turning on TV it is possible? (beam and 2 incelling speakers will play?)
  5. What about volume control? If it possible to control it by TV remote control?

Any improvment if i will use Sonos ARC instead of Sonos Beam? Any better funcionality?

Than You

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @JJPL.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. Allow me to share some information to help out.

I’ll be more than happy to share some FAQs and some information to help you out.

• It is possible to make on system of it? Yes and no, Yes, you may use the Sonos Beam as your Home theater 2.0 system connected to your TV via HDMI ARC port. No, the Sonos Port is not designed to be surrounds as it is intended to integrate Sonos with traditional receivers and music sources, or integrate third-party music sources into your Sonos ecosystem.

• Autoplay - If i say to google assistance: Turn on TV will it automaticly play music on all speakers (beam+incelling system)? As long as your TV  has CEC enabled, you may control your beam using Google Assistant to turn on the TV, Play music on your Beam, or Play music through your Sonos port or both.

• Do You think it will be any voice delay in this configuration? Lip sync? Using the group and ungroup feature on the Sonos app, You can group your Sonos port with the Sonos Beam and Play MUSIC with no delay. However, for TV audio, there will always be a delay.

• If I just need to play music without turning on TV it is possible? (beam and 2 in-celling speakers will play?) Yes, as long as the TV is turned off, you can play music on your Sonos Beam and Port using the group and ungroup feature on the Sonos app.

• What about volume control? If it possible to control it by TV remote control? You can only control the volume of the Sonos Beam using the TV remote as long as 1. CEC is enabled if you are connecting the Beam via HDMI ARC, or 2. you are going to use an IR remote if you are going to connect the Beam to your TV via HDMI to optical adapter that came with the package.

• Any improvment if i will use Sonos ARC instead of Sonos Beam? Any better functionality? If you have an HDMI eARC port on your TV, using the Sonos Arc, you can take advantage of the Dolby Atmos audio format, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, or Multichannel LPCM which are audio format exclusive to Sonos ARC but only if the Sonos Arc is connected to the TV via HDMI eARC and this is not your regular HDMI or HDMI ARC port. You may contact your TV’s manufacturer  for any details with your TV’s HDMI ports.

*** Important information to consider, The Sonos Port does not ahve a built-in amp which may need to power up your in-ceiling speakers. The Sonos Port still needs to be connected to an amplifier or receiver to power up the speakers or you may use the Sonos Amp. Not only does the Sonos Amp already have a built in amplifier that can power 125 Watts per channel @ 8ohms of speaker, you can also use the Sonos Amp as surrounds to your Sonos Beam home theater system.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. I’ll be more than happy to help.

Thanks,