Answered

Outdoor subwoofer for Sonos Connect:Amp

• 31 August 2015
  • 11 replies

Hi all, I'm quite new to the audio world and I'm looking for some advice.

I have the Sonos Connect Amp with a pair of Bose 151SE outdoor speakers. I've been trying to research an outdoor subwoofer to connect up to the system but I'm having trouble finding one that would work well with the Bose and/or be supported by the Amp. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'm not sure about the power requires and overloading. I know from the specs that the Connect Amp has 55watts per channel. Does this include the RCA sub output?

I have found this Sonance HS10SUB but I'm not sure of its outputs/power requirements.

Any help and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
icon

Best answer by Chris 31 August 2015, 03:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The RCA sub output is line level. Pretty much all outdoor subs require an amp. So your going to need to by an amplifier between the Connect:Amp and the outdoor sub in order to power it.

I have seen this outdoor powered marine subwoofer http://www.crutchfield.com/p_867HTAS10/Wet-Sounds-HT-AS10.html?tp=61750

Polk makes and Atrium 10" (requires a separate amp) and TIC has the 8" GS50 sub you bury in ground (also requires separate amp). Many subwoofer amplifiers you can get (normally car audio based but just need a 12v adapter).
Thanks so much for your response Chris.

Please forgive my ignorance, but how would an additional amp interface with the Sonos Amp. Though the RCA?

Would you be able to recommend some relatively cheap amps that could support the subs you mentioned above?

Cheers
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes RCA out of Amp to a cheap sub that then would go to your outdoor sub.

Cheap amplifier for sub - how about this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0070Z87YO/?tag=jets035-20
68watts
Great, thanks so much for your help!
What you want is a Sub with a built in amp, an active Sub, that does not draw on any of the 55 wpc of the Connect Amp. These are more common than unamplified passive Subs, that would have to be wired to the speaker terminals of the Connect Amp.

Subs usually work well when there is room reinforcement which is missing outdoors, and another approach may be a speaker upgrade. My Bose 251 external speakers have delivered good service for over ten years, and there are other makes in the market as well now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Make your own with one of these plate amplfiers (wires coming out of back would then hook to your speaker wire to sub)

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sa70-70w-subwoofer-plate-amplifier--300-784
Chris,

I have TIC GS 50 subwoofer. So in your response you are saying I can connect RCA out from Connect Amp to another Amp like the one mentioned in your response. The run the subwoofer to the second amp and should work?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes will work
So no need to add another connect amp and group the two
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No. Use the connect:amps output
Do you think the amp you recommended can power the TIC GS50? If not do you have another amp receommdation