Coming next: Symfonisk Picture Frame

• 7 April 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The Sonos model S29 is the Symfonisk Picture Frame, which is as it sounds: a picture frame with a speaker built-in. Some details have been posted on the Verge, which confirm many of the details that I have been seeing since January.

The codename I saw on one prototype was “TITAN-redacted” which is similar to the Verge’s story.

The speaker specs are similar to the Play:1 and the existing IKEA devices. There is no mic and insufficient horsepower to run Alexa or Google.

I am guessing they would make great “invisible” rear speakers for surround systems, as well as being very spousal-approved audio devices in the home.

As the device is not on the FCC site yet it must be at least a few months from release.

The Verge article is here: https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/6/22370130/ikea-sonos-symfonisk-2021-lamp-wall-art-artwork-speaker

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I hope they come up with a good solution to hide that power cord.

That’s an outstanding point, GuitarSuperstar...and while I should go look at the link, I hope it includes a small LED to light up the enclosed picture. 

Now, let me go look at that article. Thanks, controlav!

Is it just me, or is that picture of the Symfonisk Lamp a tad suggestive?

Removable, chargeable battery?  Probably not, but it is a theoretical possibility.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/sanus-in-wall-cable-kit-for-soundbars-and-tvs.html

Solutions like this have been around for years.  That said though, I would be surprised if this isn’t designed with a ‘wall wort’ type setup, so the cable between plug and picture is low voltage, and can more easily and safely be hidden behind walls without the need of an electrician.  You can’t really do it better than that with the way walls are currently constructed.

Removable, chargeable battery?  Probably not, but it is a theoretical possibility.

That would raise the price up, and according to what we know about the Move/Roam, eliminate it for use as surround sound duty. Although perhaps you could make an argument that a picture won’t be moved around.

Is it just me, or is that picture of the Symfonisk Lamp a tad suggestive?

Thanks for that image.

The Sonos model S29 is the Symfonisk Picture Frame, which is as it sounds: a picture frame with a speaker built-in. Some details have been posted on the Verge, which confirm many of the details that I have been seeing since January.

The codename I saw on one prototype was “TITAN-redacted” which is similar to the Verge’s story.

The speaker specs are similar to the Play:1 and the existing IKEA devices. There is no mic and insufficient horsepower to run Alexa or Google.

I am guessing they would make great “invisible” rear speakers for surround systems, as well as being very spousal-approved audio devices in the home.

So it’s just the frame and not the picture itself?  At first mention, I was picturing speakers behind acoustically transparent material.  Frame makes more sense though, as it would allow customers to use whatever picture they want.

Don’t know what to think of this overall.  Seems a little gimmicky, and doubtful it has any new features beyond what the ikea stuff already has.  I think I’m honestly a bit more interested to see people hack it and use it for unintended purposes, like they did with the bookshelf speakers.   The form factor of this could make for some creative uses.

https://www.smarthomeassistent.de/ikea-ein-neuer-symfonisk-lautsprecher-ist-auf-dem-weg/