Answered

Wired speakers with Sonos amp config

• 17 October 2022
  • 1 reply

Hi,

I am planning to simplify my existing whole house Crestron system and do not want use any of existing kit which is getting old and takes up a huge rack.  Can someone confirm my understanding is correct please.

1. My understanding is that I could get up and running using a Sonus amp and connect four wired (passive) speakers and sub to the amp and with the app I would have Sonus working in say the lounge.  Is this correct?
  2. Each amp is a zone, therefore, even though I only have 2 ceiling speakers in 2 other rooms, I cannot connect all four to an amp (number 2) as cannot control independently.  Is this correct?
  3. Assuming I have 1 & 2 above correct.  In order to control four rooms independently (using existing ceiling speakers) I need 4 amps?  
  4. Am I right in thinking the Sonos amp has the functionality of the port with the addition of ability to power speakers and therefore I don't need to purchase?

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 17 October 2022, 22:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Basically Amp directly supports 2 to 4 x 8ohm 3rd-party speakers or 2 x 4ohm speakers and the Amp is one Zone, as you mentioned. So the playing audio is to all speakers at the same volume, although you could add an impedance matching switch and/or room volume control to add more speakers etc. I quite like the look of this ‘simple’ switch, as demonstrated in this video:

https://youtu.be/2E0dYvihv_w

You do not need a Sonos Port if you opt to use Sonos Amp(s) instead.. that’s correct.