Answered

Will my passive speakers work with Connect:Amp

• 10 January 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

I have 2 passive speakers: https://www.thomann.de/gb/apart_mask2_w_white.htm

Impedance: 8 Ω
Rated power: 50W

Will these speakers work with the Connect:Amp? Because I read in the documentation:

Your speaker’s power rating should be at least 75W for 8 Ohm speakers, and at least 150W for 4 Ohm speakers. Do not connect speakers rated at less than 4 Ohms.

Are these speakers to “small” to be used with the Connect:Amp? 

And if yes: can they be connected with the newer Amp?

icon

Best answer by Paul A 10 January 2021, 20:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @jeroenvdb.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand that you wanted some clarification about your preferred setup. Let me share some information to help out.

I would like to share with you the guide/FAQ about how to connect four speakers to your Amp or Connect:Amp. Based on the FAQ, this is a very important information to consider prior setting up a speaker on the Sonos Amp or Connect Amp.

• Make sure the impedance rating of your speakers is 8 ohms. Any other impedance rating may cause the Amp or Connect:Amp to fault. This is true for your speaker based on provided details.
  • We do not recommend wiring your speakers in series as it will result in poor sound quality. Refer to the image below to see an example of parallel wiring.

Once the above recommendation/requirement is true, the next information to consider is for the Connect Amp Speaker impedance requirement. Should be 110 Watts per channel and 250 Watts Per channel for the Sonos Amp. This means that the Speaker’s recommended impedance to get the best audio quality and volume quality from the Sonos Amp is 250 Watts per channel or Connect Amp is 110 Watts per channel. Any other speakers that is connected to the Sonos Amp or Connect Amp that goes beyond the recommended impedance may have issues with audio quality and/or volume as the speaker requires more than what the Sonos Amp or Connect Amp can provide. 

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have any other issues or concerns. I'll be more than happy to help.

Thanks,

Badge +1

Thanks @Paul A 

This means that the Speaker’s recommended impedance to get the best audio quality and volume quality from the Sonos Amp is 250 Watts per channel or Connect Amp is 110 Watts per channel. Any other speakers that is connected to the Sonos Amp or Connect Amp that goes beyond the recommended impedance may have issues with audio quality and/or volume as the speaker requires more than what the Sonos Amp or Connect Amp can provide. 

Do I understand it right, that with my 2x 50 watt speakers it will work (I will have sound) BUT the audio quality might not be great and the volume might be low?

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @jeroenvdb.

Thanks for your immediate response. Yes it will work with the Connect Amp and since it does not exceed the Maximum speaker impedance recommended by Sonos for the Connect Amp which is 8 Ohms, You will have no issue with audio quality or volume. You will only have audio quality issues or volume issues if you connect a Speaker requiring greater than the recommended power of 110 Watts per channel.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns. I’ll be more than happy to help.

Thanks,