Answered

Will it work?

• 10 March 2022
  • 2 replies

Hi, I’m new in the community room. I would like connect all of my “OLD” devices to “NEW” speakers. The reason why I chose the Sonos is the wireless possibilities (no need the audio wire to the rear speakers). Unfortunately Sonos does not the right support, hundreds questions in a community forum are the result.

I drew the system I want to have, but I’m in doubt, what Sonos (or other) central unit should I use. Please, can anyone help me and advise the right system setting ? TX a lot.

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 10 March 2022, 19:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

So, because Sonos is a wireless whole home audio system at it’s heart, there is no central hub/receiver as you’re expecting.  The speakers communicate with each other over WiFi or Sonos propiertary network, sononet.  For external source devices, you would have a separate Sonos device to bring that into your Sonos system.

Starting with the turntable, you would use one of devices that has an aux input.  A  Port has this and connect to a 3rd party amp/receiver, but it does not have it’s own speaker or amp.  A Sonos Amp is another option, and has it’s own amp to power two passive speakers, but it costs more than the Port accordingly.  A Sonos Five also has aux input and has it’s own active speaker.  All of these can stream audio from streaming service, your local library, or group with other Sonos rooms to play in sync.  The best choice depends on your situation.

The FM/DAB tuner is essentially the same thing, but Sonos devices only have one aux input each.   You could either get a second device, or get an external RCA switch.

Regarding TV/Home Theatre. your BD/DVD/CD player will connect to your TV, and your TV connects to the Sonos Arc via HDMI-ARC/eARC/optical.  Which connection you use effects the sound formats the Arc can play.   If you have an older TV, workarounds may be required. The Sonos One SLs will be setup and bonded to the Arc to always be rear surround audio with the Arc.  It will appear as a single room in the Sonos app.  You can configure this to be silent with music or play stereo.

There are more details, but that’s a basic summary for your case.

Thanks melvimbe,

if I understand well, I making a mistake, I thought I needed a central unit :worried:

You’re right, all Sonos speakers are in one room only. Important information is “Regarding TV/Home Theatre. your BD/DVD/CD player will connect to your TV, and your TV connects to the Sonos Arc via HDMI-ARC/eARC/optical….The Sonos One SLs will be setup and bonded to the Arc to always be rear surround audio with the Arc.…configure this to be silent with music or play stereo ”

You really helped me.