Whole Room Audio: Multi TV + Turntable

• 8 August 2022
  • 6 replies

Trying to solve for the below goals using the SONOS ecosystem and I’ve been back and forth on how to accomplish. 

• Improve my GreatRoom TVs built-in speakers (Beam/ARC) 
  • Create AirPlay option and power speakers for turntable that sits directly behind TV area 
  • Output vinyl/TV audio signal across all speakers on network (e.g. listen to vinyl on soundbar)
  • Last, I have an additional TV on an HDMI splitter that I’d like to share audio/speakers with main TV 

Will an ARC/Beam + SONOS AMP (+/- 3rd party bookshelves and sub) accomplish what I’m after? I would like the option of using the sub on either TV/Vinyl signal, and by a similar token, have the option to listen to vinyl across all speakers on the AirPlay/SONOS network. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Yes, that should work. I would set it up like this:

Zone 1: TV (Beam/Arc + Sub)

Zone 2: Turntable (Amp + 3rd party bookshelves)

The Sub will be part of Zone 1. If you want to use the Sub with the Amp, you will need to group the two zones in the Sonos app, BUT audio will still play out of the Beam/Arc too.

Grouping both zones in the Sonos app will also allow you to play the turntable audio or AirPlay audio to all speakers.

Trying to solve for the below goals using the SONOS ecosystem and I’ve been back and forth on how to accomplish. 

• Create AirPlay option and power speakers for turntable that sits directly behind TV area 
  • Output vinyl/TV audio signal across all speakers on network (e.g. listen to vinyl on soundbar)
  • Last, I have an additional TV on an HDMI splitter that I’d like to share audio/speakers with main TV 

Will an ARC/Beam + SONOS AMP (+/- 3rd party bookshelves and sub) accomplish what I’m after? I would like the option of using the sub on either TV/Vinyl signal, and by a similar token, have the option to listen to vinyl across all speakers on the AirPlay/SONOS network. 

All is possible except the bolded.  The only sub compatible with an Arc/Beam is the Sonos sub.  Note, any room grouped with the Arc/Beam playing a TV source will have a ~70ms delay.  This is due to the TV signal needing to be buffered for network transmission.  Not a problem if the speakers making up the room are not within hearing distance. 

Can you clarify the bolded part?    And HDMI splitter will send the source video and audio to your TV1 and TV2, and the Beam,/Arc would be connected to 1 of those TVs.  If your intention is to be able to have TV1 off, while  video displays on TV2 and audio is played on Beam/Arc….then you may need to rethink your setup a little.  This is possible, but with with additional hardware requirements.

Can you clarify the bolded part?    And HDMI splitter will send the source video and audio to your TV1 and TV2, and the Beam,/Arc would be connected to 1 of those TVs.  If your intention is to be able to have TV1 off, while  video displays on TV2 and audio is played on Beam/Arc….then you may need to rethink your setup a little.  This is possible, but with with additional hardware requirements.

There’s a fireplace that breaks up the living/dining areas of the great room. Intention is: above that fireplace (dining side) will be a FrameTV (TV2) that’s either in ArtMode, or, sharing the video feed from (TV1) via HDMI splitter. 

New house, so just planning this out. 

The use case I’m attempting to solve for is when entertaining, those TVs will both be on and have the option of using AirPlay throughout all connected speakers in the room (most likely, ARC/BEAM, MOVE, Sub, Bookshelves). Basically, whole room audio for the two TVs. Fringe case where TV2 would be on and not TV1. We can live without that being an option. 

All is possible except the bolded.  The only sub compatible with an Arc/Beam is the Sonos sub.  Note, any room grouped with the Arc/Beam playing a TV source will have a ~70ms delay.  This is due to the TV signal needing to be buffered for network transmission.  Not a problem if the speakers making up the room are not within hearing distance. 

Gotcha, so AMP or not...the only sub that can work with a soundbar is the SONOS sub? This has been the bit of information that I’ve found the most confusing. So in a situation like mine, where I’d like to have a sub for the turntable, I’m looking at needing two subs, correct? 

Gotcha, so AMP or not...the only sub that can work with a soundbar is the SONOS sub? This has been the bit of information that I’ve found the most confusing. So in a situation like mine, where I’d like to have a sub for the turntable, I’m looking at needing two subs, correct? 

Yes.  That is correct.  You could switch the Sonos Sub from one room to the other, but that is not a quick process, it takes a little bit due to the reconfiguration of the radios and you’d lose any Trueplay tuning.