Answered

Which router to replace 2011 Apple Time Capsule

I am using the Time Capsule with two AEX WiFi extenders for WiFi needs at home that also serves Dots around the home. Sonos is served via Sonos net, with a Boost and a WD My Cloud NAS wired to the LAN ports of the Time Capsule. This is all working fine, but I may have the opportunity to manage the logistics of replacement and one never knows how much life is left in the 2011 TC.
My question is what would be a good modern replacement for the Time Capsule with the following conditions:
1. International voltage range like Sonos kit.
2. Should be available in Best Buy stores in the US.
3. Should work as a drop in replacement for Sonos.
4. Should work as a drop in replacement for WiFi - either with the two AEX extenders at either end of a single floor apartment, or by not needing these.
5. If 4 is not likely, what extenders will have to be bought as well?

While I use the Time Capsule for Time Machine back ups, I can easily use a wired to Mac HDD to do this, so this functionality is not needed.

Airport Extreme would have been the obvious choice but for the concern that Apple have stopped development of the line since 2016.

Thank you!
icon

Best answer by pwt 3 April 2018, 12:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

Thanks gents: I will research these.

What I have simply loved about the 2011 TC is that I have not had to do anything to it in any manner since the day it was installed. Truly fit and forget. Adding IP reservations for Sonos was the only intervention I did in 2014, and via the utility, that was a breeze. And yes, the hard drive was not up to multi zone play of different music streams, I had to fix latencies in that by adding a WD NAS to the set up.

If I need anything in performance improvement now it would be more grunt to eliminate the two AEX extenders at either side of the TC, in rooms a brick wall away. Otherwise all I need is something that will do the rinse and repeat thing; no extenders would be nice, but not a must.

And the only reason to change is in anticipation of failure and the chance to get a router cheaper in the US than in India - at about half the price. On the other hand, the TC may even soldier on for a few more years, so there is that option to also consider.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
And the only reason to change is in anticipation of failure and the chance to get a router cheaper in the US than in India - at about half the price. On the other hand, the TC may even soldier on for a few more years, so there is that option to also consider.
Fwiw, my wireless network infrastructure also includes a Time Capsule (4th Gen) and an Airport Express (2nd Gen). Both have been easy to use and trouble-free, rather more so than the ISP-provided cable modem / router that is also part of the set up. Although Apple appears to have ended new product development for network equipment, it's still selling devices and I would expect a 3-5 year support window for significant security issues from the point at which a device is discontinued.

Not very exciting, I know, but I'd be minded to keep your exisiting devices if they are meeting your needs. I certainly have no urge to replace mine.

Not very exciting, I know, but I'd be minded to keep your exisiting devices if they are meeting your needs. I certainly have no urge to replace mine.

In this sphere of my life I need zero excitement:-). My thought arose because heaven knows how much longer the 2011 Time Capsule will work, and I have an opportunity to get a router in the US for half of what I would pay in India.
The WAN port of my Time Capsule seems to be close to failure causing internet stuttering, although Sonos net + NAS based music play is not affected, with a Boost and NAS wired to the LAN ports of the TC.

I am looking at cheaper solutions available in India that will involve a modem+router, with perhaps some WiFi extenders. With such products of today, are there any compatibility issues one needs to look for vis a vis Sonos, where the same set up will be used for Sonos - with the NAS and Boost wired to the LAN ports of the router?