Answered

Which router to replace 2011 Apple Time Capsule

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

Thanks gents: I will research these.

What I have simply loved about the 2011 TC is that I have not had to do anything to it in any manner since the day it was installed. Truly fit and forget. Adding IP reservations for Sonos was the only intervention I did in 2014, and via the utility, that was a breeze. And yes, the hard drive was not up to multi zone play of different music streams, I had to fix latencies in that by adding a WD NAS to the set up.

If I need anything in performance improvement now it would be more grunt to eliminate the two AEX extenders at either side of the TC, in rooms a brick wall away. Otherwise all I need is something that will do the rinse and repeat thing; no extenders would be nice, but not a must.

And the only reason to change is in anticipation of failure and the chance to get a router cheaper in the US than in India - at about half the price. On the other hand, the TC may even soldier on for a few more years, so there is that option to also consider.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
And the only reason to change is in anticipation of failure and the chance to get a router cheaper in the US than in India - at about half the price. On the other hand, the TC may even soldier on for a few more years, so there is that option to also consider.
Fwiw, my wireless network infrastructure also includes a Time Capsule (4th Gen) and an Airport Express (2nd Gen). Both have been easy to use and trouble-free, rather more so than the ISP-provided cable modem / router that is also part of the set up. Although Apple appears to have ended new product development for network equipment, it's still selling devices and I would expect a 3-5 year support window for significant security issues from the point at which a device is discontinued.

Not very exciting, I know, but I'd be minded to keep your exisiting devices if they are meeting your needs. I certainly have no urge to replace mine.

Not very exciting, I know, but I'd be minded to keep your exisiting devices if they are meeting your needs. I certainly have no urge to replace mine.

In this sphere of my life I need zero excitement:-). My thought arose because heaven knows how much longer the 2011 Time Capsule will work, and I have an opportunity to get a router in the US for half of what I would pay in India.
The WAN port of my Time Capsule seems to be close to failure causing internet stuttering, although Sonos net + NAS based music play is not affected, with a Boost and NAS wired to the LAN ports of the TC.

I am looking at cheaper solutions available in India that will involve a modem+router, with perhaps some WiFi extenders. With such products of today, are there any compatibility issues one needs to look for vis a vis Sonos, where the same set up will be used for Sonos - with the NAS and Boost wired to the LAN ports of the router?