Answered

What to do with a Sub?

So I moved into a new condo and my old place my roommate has a playbase and I bought the Sonos sub. When I moved to my new place I decided to keep my Play:5 in my bedroom (which is slight overkill for a high-rise condo bedroom, but I love that the aux cord can take over when we go on a cabin trip and don't have to worry about finding a Airbnb router). Moved an old Play:1 to the bathroom and now I have two Ones as the rear (so they have Alexa).

Long story short, I have Alexa taken care of, but I'm torn between the playbase and playbar. I bought the playbar about 2 weeks ago (so I'm within the 45 days to return) and enjoy it a lot. However, I miss airplay2 streaming when I'm in the kitchen. I hate when I'm cooking that I have to fire up the Sonos app and then change songs/volume or I have to keep my TV on to stream through the Apple TV. I have the Samsung NU8500 and it really annoys me to leave it on too long for no reason other than to stream music. I'm open to the beam, but I was sure that the base would have better quality. I'm also not totally turned off to the idea of the Amp with the sub, but I figured that would mean dumping serious cash to get that too all work with what I already have.

Lastly, I've tried to read around but it doesn't seem to be a common problem that someone has the sub and no main speaker.
icon

Best answer by Mugs 8 May 2019, 14:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Easiest and very good solution would be Beam bonded with your Sub. Your going to get very good sound and all the latest features.(airplay, Alexa, HDMI-arc) Beam sounds really good with a Sub!

I have the Playbase with Sub and it sounds great but I did it before the Beam came out. Considering you already have Sub, I think Beam is a great choice. You also have more placement options should you decide to move it in the future.
The beam is a good choice, but just so you're aware, you can airplay to your play:5 and then group with your playbar, so your effectively streaming to the playbar.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I have a Beam and Sub combo and can say it works fantastically well and most certainly load enough to fill a condo.