Answered

What to buy for TV sound

• 10 March 2019
  • 3 replies

Hi,
I want to improve my tv sound and living room stereo.
I have a pair of Bose 201 bookshelf speakers and I’m considering either buying the Sonos amp for the Bose speakers with a Sonos sub or simply a Sonos playbar with a sonos sub. Sound quality is the main goal. What would you recommend?
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 11 March 2019, 03:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi toroistein

Option 1
To use the Bose 201's as front speakers you can connect them to a Sonos Amp and use a Sonos or 3rd party sub. A pair of Play 5's, Sonos Play 1's, or Sonos One's can be used as surrounds. Your TV can be connected to the Sonos AMP via HDMI_ARC or Optical if HDMI_ARC is not an option on your TV.

This option would produce a "Phantom" center channel for TV but natural Stereo for music. The rears can be set for ambient or Full stereo for music when not interpreting surround material. The switch would be automatic depending upon source (i.e. TV or Music).

IMO the Play 5's would be overkill as surrounds.

Option 2
You can use the Bose 201's as surrounds with a Sonos Amp while using the Playbar (connected to your TV via optical) and a Sonos Sub upfront. The Playbar would produce LF/C/RF channels which are best for movies. While music would sound good...you will not get the pure left/right stereo separation as with two dedicated speakers upfront.

Summary
While Option 1 is the most cost effective you'll have to decide for yourself which sound will be the most pleasing for Movies and Music (i.e. Option 1 or Option 2). Personally, I'd go with Option 1. ;)

Cheers!
Hi toroistein

Option 1
To use the Bose 201's as front speakers you can connect them to a Sonos Amp and use a Sonos or 3rd party sub. A pair of Play 5's, Sonos Play 1's, or Sonos One's can be used as surrounds. Your TV can be connected to the Sonos AMP via HDMI_ARC or Optical if HDMI_ARC is not an option on your TV.

This option would produce a "Phantom" center channel for TV but natural Stereo for music. The rears can be set for ambient or Full stereo for music when not interpreting surround material. The switch would be automatic depending upon source (i.e. TV or Music).

Is there a way to get rid of this "phantom" center channel? For example by adding the Beam? So the setup would be: two front speakers connected to the Amp + Beam for center + two play:1s or One's for surrounds?
None of the Sonos soundbars can be used as only a center channel. All of them contain the front right, center and left speakers. There's no way in the Sonos software to change that.