What to buy

Badge +2

Hello,  Here is what I am trying to figure out as far as what to purchase.

1. * Living room ( 25 x 20)  This is the room with the LG TV and would like surround sound.  Arc for that one?

* Master Bedroom 1 (15 x 15)  Maybe two speakers (one for the master bath)  This has a TV so a Beam for that one? 

* Maybe one or two extra speakers to put in other places of the house.

2.  The only other thing we have is our original Sonos (which we hooked up to the house's in wall speaker system).  We could do away with this.

3.  I would plan on putting maybe one speaker outside, yes.  But we could also just have one that goes outside when we go outside in the back.

Thank you a bunch in advance!!!!

Brad

13 replies

Userlevel 7

Living Room - Arc, Sub, pair of One SLs as surrounds

Master Bedroom - Beam (Gen 2), Sub

Master Bath - Move or One

Outside - Move (This speaker is portable so you can keep it inside and take it outside when needed. It could be a good option for the kitchen/backyard.)

What specific model is your “original Sonos” that is powering your in-wall speakers?

For the Master Bath, I would go with a pair of Roams, if you have two outlets on opposite sides of the room.  The limited space in bathrooms as well as the Roams small footprint and weather resistance makes it work well in a bath, IMO.  This is what I use instead of a pair of Ones.

Badge +2

Zone Player ZP90

Badge +2

What is the difference between the One and the Five?  ANd what is the differencce between the Roam and the Move?

Userlevel 7

Zone Player ZP90

You could continue to use the ZP90 to power the in-wall speakers, but it would not work together with the other Sonos speakers assuming that you will be using the Sonos S2 app. The ZP90 is only compatible with the S1 app.

If you want to use the in-wall speakers with the other speakers in the house, replace the ZP90 with a Sonos Amp or a used Connect:Amp (Gen 2).

Read more about S2 compatibility here:
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786?language=en_US

Userlevel 7

What is the difference between the One and the Five? And what is the difference between the Roam and the Move?

The Five is larger and sounds much better than the One. The Five is considered by many to be Sonos’ best-sounding speaker for music. Although you could get a pair of Ones to create a stereo pair that is comparable to a single Five but with better stereo separation.

Here’s a comparison of the Five and One:
https://www.rtings.com/speaker/tools/compare/sonos-one-gen-2-vs-sonos-five/7232/15253?usage=10159&threshold=0.10

The Move is much larger and sounds better than the Roam. The Roam is more portable because of its smaller size. The Move is probably the best-sounding portable speaker I have ever owned.

Here’s a comparison of the Move and the Roam:
https://www.whathifi.com/us/advice/sonos-roam-vs-sonos-move-how-sonos-bluetooth-speakers-compare

Badge +2

Thank you so much!

Badge +2

Is it worth getting the amp for the old Sonos with speakers in the wall?  Or just go with a new Sonos 2 set up?

Userlevel 7

Is it worth getting the amp for the old Sonos with speakers in the wall?  Or just go with a new Sonos 2 set up?

It depends on where the in-wall speakers are located and if you still want to use them.

Badge +2

If I got the amp and incorporated it to the Sonos 2, will they play nice with each other?  Can I operate it all from the new Sonos app?  Or do I need both apps?  The old and new?

Userlevel 7

If I got the amp and incorporated it to the Sonos 2, will they play nice with each other?  Can I operate it all from the new Sonos app?  Or do I need both apps?  The old and new?

All the Sonos speakers I recommended in my original reply, and the Sonos Amp, will work together with the Sonos S2 app. You will no longer need to use the S1 app.

You can run S1 at the same time as S2, and use both controllers on your mobile device (or laptop). They don’t, however, communicate with each other, so you wouldn’t be able to “group” the speakers from one system to the other. 

This Sonos Support link (below) shows all the Sonos products available that can be setup/run on either S1, or S2, or on Both systems … you can of course choose which system(s) you prefer to use …the older (less features) S1 System, or the newer (more features) S2 system, or both - S1 & S2 will happily run side-by-side on a local network. I can attest to that, as I have both an S1/S2 system here in my own Home network.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786

Once a decision is made of the type of Sonos system(s) you wish to use/setup, then make any product purchases around that decision. Also remember that any new Sonos products that Sonos release in the future, will certainly be just for an S2 System only - they’ve already indicated that no new features/products will be added to S1. So S2 has all the obvious advantages going forward.