Skip to main content

what set up to purchae

• 20 October 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi Sonos Guys and Girls 

Can I get peoples advice on what Sonos set up I should purchase 

I enjoy both music and TV and can’t decide between the following set ups 

Arc, surrounds, sub gen3 and 1 x five (for music) 

or 

Arc, surrounds, mini sub and 2 x fives (for music) 

Both set ups are similar priced and I want to watch TV and music 

I have an open plan kitchen/living room. The living room area is aprox 5mx5m

Any advice will be appreciated

kind regards, 

Dan 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

When the room is an open space like you say, I would definitely go for the Sub gen3 with the Arc. The sub-mini might not be powerful enough for that size of room. Also be aware, once you choose to get the sub mini, you will not be able to expand your system to dual sub in the future. You can only add dual subs if you have at least 1 gen3 in the system. 

I have a room somewhat similar to yours and I ended up with the Arc, 1 sub gen3, 1 sub gen2, 2 one sl’s as surrounds and 2 one’s in the kitchen. Next purchase will be a sub mini for the kitchen. 

I would go with an Arc, surrounds, and sub  at first and usee it for TV and music. I think you will find that it is better for music than you might expect.  After listening to that for a while, you can decide where you want to go.  You may want to add a second sub.  You may want to create a 2nd room in the kitchen with a pair of Ones, that you group when you play music.  

I would not try and use one Five for music as I don’t think that will feel like an improvement over Arc+surrounds+sub.  I went with the 2 Fives route, and while I did like it, I felt it needed the bass I was getting with my Arc setup, so eventually added the sub.  I don’t think mini sub is going to be good for that size rooom, unless you aren’t big on bass and aren’t likely to play that loud.

One of the good things about Sonos is that you can start small and add on as your needs and budget grows.

Thank you for your replies, very good feedback 

I thought the home theatre set up wouldn’t be good for music and I have read some amazing reviews about the fives.

After reading the comments about the Arc, Sub and surrounds combo, maybe I should save the money and just purchase extra ones for the kitchen area if I need additional stand alone music listening 

Thank you 

Dan 

Thank you for your replies, very good feedback 

I thought the home theatre set up wouldn’t be good for music and I have read some amazing reviews about the fives.

After reading the comments about the Arc, Sub and surrounds combo, maybe I should save the money and just purchase extra ones for the kitchen area if I need additional stand alone music listening 

Thank you 

Dan 

Yea, one thing to think about is that “atmos music” is coming.  For atmos music, the Arc setup definitely sounds better.  And rumor is that Sonos is working on an atmos capable replacement for the Five, so it does make sense to wait.  A part of me wishes I did, to be honest.

Hi Danny, 

Sounds good to me, I’m moving house soon so treating myself to a Sonos set up, currently been using a Bose surround for years and can’t wait to move over to Sonos. 

I’ll hold fire on the five purchase and  go with Arc surround combo for my music and TV to start with