What is the best way to connect a CD player to my Sonos set up which already includes a Rega Plannar 2 record player?

• 21 January 2021
  • 6 replies

I have a rega plannar 2 record player connected to a Play 5 (which is plugged into via line in), an Arc (which is plugged into my TV) and 2 x Sonos One SLs. 

I want to purchase a CD player and connect it to my set up (I have lots of CDs); however, I'm not sure of the best way to do this, particularly as the line in on my Play 5 is already in use. Please could someone advise me on the best way to approach this? 

Additionally, any recommendations on the best CD player to buy is also much appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Your best option would be adding another Five or a Sonos Port to connect the CD player.

I don’t know much about CD players, but here is an article with some higher-end options: https://www.whathifi.com/us/best-buys/hi-fi/best-cd-players

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Alternatively buy youself a NAS rather than the CD player and spend a chunk of time ripping all your CDs to the NAS (in FLAC format).

Then you will be able to listen to your CDs as albums and construct playlists from them as well; and as a bonus you will have a back up for your precious CD collection.

Give me a break. The OP just needs to put an input selector switch in front of the existing Play:5’s Line-In jack. And as for a CD player anything ‘high end’ would be a total waste. Any respectable budget player would suffice. 

Better still, rip to disk and play the files direct over the network.

Thanks for the quick replies 

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

As ratty says, just buy a $10 to $20 two way input selector switch and plug your record player and CD player into the two inputs. Then connect the output on the selector switch to the 5’s Line In socket.

No need to spend $450 to $500 on a Port or second Five!!!

Or also as ratty says, spend some time ripping all your CDs to either the hard drive on your networked PC or a cheap NAS drive and access them through the Sonos Music Library capability. I used some software called dBpoweramp on my Windows 10 PC to rip all of my CD collection in FLAC format. It even sorted out the album artwork. I’ve never used my CD player since. So much easier to access all the CDs through Music Library.

As ratty says, just buy a $10 to $20 two way input selector switch and plug your record player and CD player into the two inputs. Then connect the output on the selector switch to the 5’s Line In socket.

No need to spend $450 to $500 on a Port or second Five!!!

Or also as ratty says, spend some time ripping all your CDs to either the hard drive on your networked PC or a cheap NAS drive and access them through the Sonos Music Library capability. I used some software called dBpoweramp on my Windows 10 PC to rip all of my CD collection in FLAC format. It even sorted out the album artwork. I’ve never used my CD player since. So much easier to access all the CDs through Music Library.

I did just the same, also using dbpoweramp, and agree with everything @lohr500 has said.  Don’t rip using iTunes (or whatever it is called now) or Windows Media Player (useless).

Sonos was designed to be used with digital music files not physical media.  Now is not the time to be adding a CD player, unless having the physical CD in itself is important to you.