Vinyl to my Sonos products.

• 12 November 2020
  • 17 replies

Hi, I’m new to the community and looking for a bit of advice. I’m looking to buy a Sonos vinyl player. What do I need to get it to play through my playbar and play 1 which I have in multiple rooms. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Lee84.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand you wanted to connect a traditional turntable to your Sonos ecosystem. Let me help you out with that.

What you would need is either a Sonos FiveA Sonos Port, or a Sonos Amp. These Sonos devices have a line-in port feature that would allow you to integrate your turntable into your Sonos system. Let me share with you a topic here in the community that discussed more details about integrating a turntable to Sonos.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Hi Paul A

Thank you for coming back to me. That’s really helpful information. Could you tell me what the differences/benefits between the amp and the port and the two vinyl plays Sonos currently sell. 

Thank you

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi Lee84, the Amp is designed to provide amplification for traditional passive speakers. Unless you want to add any traditional speakers to your system, you don't need an Amp.

Your options are a Port or a Sonos Five. If you want to add another Sonos speaker to your system and can position the turntable close to the new speaker, then a Five is a good option. It isn't s lot more expensive than the Port and gives you an extra speaker. Any of the Sonos vinyl players will plug into the Five and once connected you can play the vinyl across any or all of your Sonos speakers. Be aware though that if you want to add surround speakers to your playbar, you will need a matching pair of speakers, so two Fives would be expensive.

If you don't want an extra speaker, then a Port will work well with the Sonos vinyl players and it will allow you to place the turntable anywhere with a power outlet and within WiFi range of your other Sonos kit. The turntable is connected to the Port with wires, the Port communicates with the rest of the Sonos kit by WiFi. (Or ethernet).

I think the main difference between the Sonos turntables is the quality of the tone arm and cartridge/stylus. You could also use any other turntable so long as it has a built in pre amp to provide a line out level signal, or a turntable with a phono level output and a low cost pre amp.

The Sonos turntables are made by Pro-Ject. I have an early version of the Debut and I am very happy with it for playing my vinyl collection. I don't think I would spend more on the higher spec model, but that's just my opinion.

Morning,

just reading through this & it’s very helpful thanks helpful.

I have a playbar with 2 x play 1’s paired as surrounds in the living room & a play 3 in the kitchen, the layout is all open plan so the added play 3 full the room nicely.  I want to add a vinyl player.

If I was to use a technical 1210, what would I need?

If I was to buy an alternative vinyl player, what would I need & what player would you recommend?

might be simple questions but as technology increases along with my age I’m struggling to keep up so I find myself asking a lot of lazy questions nowadays!!

Any info would be appreciated 👌🏼

Userlevel 7

@SpizmaN3 If you want to add a turntable to your Sonos setup, you need to add a Sonos Five, Port, or Amp. I recommend the Five because it gives you the benefit of having an added speaker. And the Five is Sonos’ best-sounding speaker for music.

Here is more information: https://blog.sonos.com/en/listening-to-vinyl-with-sonos/

Thanks for the quick response.

The play 5 isn’t an option unfortunately as it would be overkill.

What I’m trying to to establish is what I need for either of the 2 options & which would be easiest?

cheers 

Userlevel 7

The Sonos Port would be the cheapest and easiest way to connect a turntable. You could also get a used Sonos Connect (Gen 2) if you wanted to save some money. The Connect (Gen 2) is the older, discontinued version of the Port.

Cool, so if I got a port I could then plug in a technics turntable into it & the port would fire over to the speakers & I wouldn’t need a pre  amp?

Userlevel 7

If your turntable doesn’t have a built-in phono preamp, you will need to first connect your turntable to a phono preamp, and then connect the phono preamp to the Sonos Port.

Once connected, you would just group the new “room” with the Port to your other Sonos rooms and the audio from the turntable will play through all of your Sonos speakers.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi Lee84, the Amp is designed to provide amplification for traditional passive speakers. Unless you want to add any traditional speakers to your system, you don't need an Amp.

Your options are a Port or a Sonos Five. If you want to add another Sonos speaker to your system and can position the turntable close to the new speaker, then a Five is a good option. It isn't s lot more expensive than the Port and gives you an extra speaker. Any of the Sonos vinyl players will plug into the Five and once connected you can play the vinyl across any or all of your Sonos speakers. Be aware though that if you want to add surround speakers to your playbar, you will need a matching pair of speakers, so two Fives would be expensive. EDIT. 22/1/21 Need to add that if Fives are used as surrounds, then the line in ports are disabled, so not a solution for adding a turntable to a Sonos home theater set up with Fives as surrounds.

If you don't want an extra speaker, then a Port will work well with the Sonos vinyl players and it will allow you to place the turntable anywhere with a power outlet and within WiFi range of your other Sonos kit. The turntable is connected to the Port with wires, the Port communicates with the rest of the Sonos kit by WiFi. (Or ethernet).

I think the main difference between the Sonos turntables is the quality of the tone arm and cartridge/stylus. You could also use any other turntable so long as it has a built in pre amp to provide a line out level signal, or a turntable with a phono level output and a low cost pre amp.

The Sonos turntables are made by Pro-Ject. I have an early version of the Debut and I am very happy with it for playing my vinyl collection. I don't think I would spend more on the higher spec model, but that's just my opinion.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

If your turntable doesn’t have a built-in phono preamp, you will need to first connect your turntable to a phono preamp, and then connect the phono preamp to the Sonos Port.

Once connected, you would just group the new “room” with the Port to your other Sonos rooms and the audio from the turntable will play through all of your Sonos speakers.

I cannot be a 100% sure as I only have Connects rather than Ports but I don’t think you have to group with the Port, the Port will appear as a source in its own right called Line-in on the browse menu.

So have I got this right?

technics 1210 (direct drive turntable)

to

pre amp (is it needed if I’m going to Sonos port & Sonos speakers?)

to

sonos port 

then

links up to existing playbar & play 1 surrounds? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Yes.

I haven’t looked up that turntable to see if it has a built in preamp, though. 

And your last line should be ‘signal is in the Sonos ecosystem, so I can play it on any of my Sonos speakers’ ;)

cheers for the reply 👌🏼

Doesn’t have a built in ore amp (it’s a turntable originally designed for club DJing back in the day.

The last line, just my age showing I’m not down with the lingo these days, ya get mi blood 🤟

I do indeed.

Although fair warning, there is a 75ms minimum delay on a Sonos analog line in, and DJing would be problematic, if that’s your plan. Playing music, no issues, though. 

No plans to DJ through it, just saves buying a new player & they’re always increasing in value so I don’t want to get rid of it’s easy enough to sort 👌🏼