Answered

Using Headphones

• 12 September 2019
  • 6 replies

I play my vinyl records through a turntable which is connected to a pre-amp and then to a play:5. It is a great combination as it combines old and new enabling me to listen to my records, CD, and music streaming, without having too many boxes (which the wife hates). The only drawback is that there isn’t a headphone connection on any of the units which would enable me to listen to the music in peace while the family are clattering around the room.
Looking at the messages on the community this doesn’t appear to be a new problem but has anyone found a way around it (please note the comment about not having too many boxes).
thanks.
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 12 September 2019, 15:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Sonos no longer offers a component with headphone out. (It was an option with Play:5/gen1.) To play all the sources on Sonos you'd therefore need to add a Connect or Port (or indeed a pre-owned unit like a ZP90), feeding a headphone amp.

If all you wanted was to listen to vinyl on headphones you could always put a Y-splitter after the pre-amp, so as to feed your Play:5 and a headphone amp simultaneously.

So, some additional boxes come what may.
Userlevel 7
Are your headphones wired or BT or both.
Userlevel 7
Hi milligangs

A little know fact that RCA input/output switches can actually work in reverse. Most have multiple input with one output. In your case you would use the Output as the incoming from your pre-amp. One in-put would connect to your Play 5 the other to your headphones. Click here to view an example.

One again...are your headphones wired, BT or both?

Cheers!
The headphones are wired but I can always get some BT headphones if it’s a better option.
Userlevel 7
The headphones are wired but I can always get some BT headphones if it’s a better option.
Not necessary to get BT headphones. Having BT would require a transmitter which is extra expense. Your wired phones will work just fine.

Hi milligangs

A little know fact that RCA input/output switches can actually work in reverse. Most have multiple input with one output. In your case you would use the Output as the incoming from your pre-amp. One in-put would connect to your Play 5 the other to your headphones. Click here to view an example.

One again...are your headphones wired, BT or both?

Cheers!

Hey I am looing to achieve the same. All I have is a playbar and amp. How do I listen to my vinyl with headphones?