Using Connect with a receiver & standalone

• 10 February 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi-

I own a receiver and a Connect (which powers two non-sonos in-ceiling speakers).

I would like to allow the speakers to be able to play sound from both the receiver AND from wirelessly (via Connect)...depending on what source is providing the sound.

Is there a way to wire for this?

TIA

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Hi-

I own a receiver and a Connect (which powers two non-sonos in-ceiling speakers).

I would like to allow the speakers to be able to play sound from both the receiver AND from wirelessly (via Connect)...depending on what source is providing the sound.

Is there a way to wire for this?

TIA

I think you’re going to have to clarify what you’re asking for.  If your ceiling speakers are connected to the your receiver, then they receive their power and audio signals from the receiver.  They can’t receive power and audio signals wirelessly.  Your Connect can stream audio ‘wirelessly’ and send that audio to your receiver, which is what I assume you’re currently doing?

Currently, the in-ceiling speakers are hooked up to the Connect.

I would like to operate them as I do any other Sonos “room” but ALSO have them serve as surround sound speakers for my receiver. Note that the receiver’s speakers are not hooked up to Sonos via Connect or any other means.

So essentially I want the in-ceiling speakers to receive audio from two sources:

1. The recevier
  2. the connect

Maybe there is a better way to architect this…

TIA

OK, it sounds like you actually have a Connect:amp, not a Connect.  A Connect doesn’t have an amp built it so it can’t power speakers without a 3rd party amp/receiver.  

Anyway, if I’m understanding you correctly, you want a device like this…

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_543AB32/Russound-AB-3-2-Automatic-Speaker-Selector.html?tp=2045

This will allow you have the same pair of speakers powered by two different amps without have to rearrange the wiring every time.