Using Amp in Dolby Atmos for Existing Rears & Sub

• 12 May 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

So, I am in the process of replacing my Theater Room TV with a 65” TV that is eARC compatible. Any lists or recommendations on a tv that will fit the bill as I am reading all this confusion on what TVs can and can’t do what (that’s more of an aside). I am trying to configure my needs and what I can use with my existing system and what to add. Right now, a 5.1 non-Sonos system: 10 yr old Denon receiver powering front floor speakers, a center channel, a non-Sonos Sub and ceiling rear speakers. My question is can I just get an Arc for front/center and then an Amp for existing rears and sub? is that what makes the most sense as I am guessing my standard front/center speakers can’t just change out the receiver? Love Sonos, too many products everywhere else it’s just that this was an only system integrated in and was waiting for this announcement to figure out what direction to go.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

No. The only current SONOS product that accepts eARC is the new Arc soundbar. Your front speakers will not be welcome in this setup. Finally, AMP cannot be used to drive rear speakers outside of a SONOS system.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

No. The only current SONOS product that accepts eARC is the new Arc soundbar. Your front speakers will not be welcome in this setup. Finally, AMP cannot be used to drive rear speakers outside of a SONOS system.

I think the OP is asking if he can replace fronts and center with the Arc and then run existing rears and sub via the Amp. 

The answer is almost yes. 

Yes; you can replace your fronts and center with the Arc which will also be able to produce height-effects from at Atmos-track. 

Yes; you can use your existing rears by connecting these to the Amp and pairing that with the Arc in a surround-setup. 

No; you can’t drive your existing sub with the Amp in this setup. The Amps sub-output is disables when the Amp is used for running the rear-channel. The reason is that the Arc drives the system in this scenario and distributes it to the other channels. So the Amp only gets the signal for the rear-channels and not the sub. Your only sub-option in this setup is a Sonos-sub to pair with the Arc. 

In OPs configuration, can you confirm it will be dolby atmos with a atmos capable tv? For existing older tv that is not capable of atmos, assuming it shifts down to 5.1 or 7.1?