Using a playbar as a boost

• 2 January 2018
  • 3 replies

Do I need to buy a boost?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

To elaborate (!) ... I have a playbar for my TV which I also use for music. I also have a few Play 1's dotted around. At the moment everything is on a standard network setup. I would like to have a play 1 in the kitchen but it doesn't pick up a signal because my router is too far from the kitchen. There is a play1 located half way between the router and the kitchen so the obvious solution appeared to be to buy a boost. However, on reading a little more it seems like plugging my playbar into my router via ethernet cable (the router is right next to the playbar) would do exactly the same thing as buying a boost. Is this correct?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes that is correct. You might find that being "right next to the router" isn't ideal as you could get interference. But it would be easy enough to test.
Set your router to have a fixed channel (they often assign the channels automatically) and then when you have plugged the Playbar in to the router in your advanced wireless settings set the Sonos wireless channel to a different value than you set the router.
Yes that is correct. You might find that being "right next to the router" isn't ideal as you could get interference. But it would be easy enough to test.
Set your router to have a fixed channel (they often assign the channels automatically) and then when you have plugged the Playbar in to the router in your advanced wireless settings set the Sonos wireless channel to a different value than you set the router.
Thanks for the prompt response... I'll try that.