Answered

Use sonos speakers in a non sonos system

• 3 March 2020
  • 4 replies

I’m struggling to find the answer to this, but what equipment do I need to add sonos one speakers to my existing (wired) audio system? Everything i’m finding seems to be streaming music with the sonos app to an existing system which isn’t what I’m looking for. I have an amp and wired speakers and play music through a sirius xm player, plugged into the amp. I would like to be able to add the sonos one speakers to this setup. Thanks

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 3 March 2020, 17:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

The answer depends on how you want to use the Sonos One speakers.  If you intend to use the speakers as wireless replacements for your wired speakers in a home theatre setup, that’s not possible.  if you want to have the Sonos One speakers play in sync with your system in another room, they you would need a Sonos Port connected to the analog output (a tape-out for example) for that. There would be a delay though, so you can’t really put the Sonos Ones in the same room.

The Sonos Ones can play XM on their own through the Sonos app though.  If you need the Ones and your existing amp to play in sync though, you would again need the Sonos port   If you using the Sonos app to source XM audio , you actually can put the Ones and your amp in the same room as everything will play with the same delay.

There would be a delay though, so you can’t really put the Sonos Ones in the same room.

It depends whether the amp has a ‘monitor/loop’ facility. If is does, then local sources wired to the amp can be fed out to the Port and back again, thus delaying the signal by the same amount as the sound from the Ones.

Ok, I was looking at the port, but I thought that would only let you play music through the port with the sonos app. I must have misunderstood. So with the port, I can plug the output on the amp to the sonos port and it will then stream that to the sonos one speakers? I use sirius xm for business so there isn’t a login for it so I can’t use the sonos app. And I just need the speakers to be in a different room. We are trying to prevent having to run additional speaker wire all over the building.

Ok, I was looking at the port, but I thought that would only let you play music through the port with the sonos app. I must have misunderstood. So with the port, I can plug the output on the amp to the sonos port and it will then stream that to the sonos one speakers? I use sirius xm for business so there isn’t a login for it so I can’t use the sonos app. And I just need the speakers to be in a different room. We are trying to prevent having to run additional speaker wire all over the building.

You might want to give SXM a call.  I could be wrong, but I thought every account now came with internet streaming.  Maybe it’s different for whatever business account you have.  If you can stream directly, then you won’t need to get a Port, and you’ll be able to play  different channels in your different rooms.