Two Sonos amps versus external amp Plus Port

Setting up a system to drive six speakers and a sub woofer. It will be about $300 cheaper to go with an amp plus port. Should I do that versus two Sonos amps?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7

A Port cannot power a set of passive speakers. An Amp can only power up to four passive speakers. An Amp can power up to six speakers only if the speakers are Sonos Architectural by Sonance speakers. So if your six speakers are not Sonos Architectural, your only option is getting two Amps.

Merbel,

Are the six speakers and subwoofer all in the same room? If there are multiple rooms are you comfortable with all of the speakers playing the same track without the ability to individually adjusting room Volume?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Using a Sonos Amp and a Port plus amplifier in the same room can be a bit odd sounding if there is a delay in the sound passing through the amplifier.

In my previous setup I had to bypass all the audio processing available in my external amp or put up with a very perceptible echo effect.

Different physical rooms would mask that a good bit but in one room or an open plan space probably not good.

Thank you

To clarify further 

choice is

Use non Sonos amp with Sonos port (amp able to drive the speakers (and don’t mind them being on one zone as can be wall controlled with older knob controls) vs

going with two Sonos amps and no port (would not be necessary)

two Sonos amps more expensive than the non Sonos amp plus port by about $300

thanks all

And apologies for To vs Two typo. Can’t figure out how to edit….

Merbel,

If the wall mounted Volume controls are the impedance matching type, you can run all of the speakers from one 3rd party amplifier or one SONOS AMP.

Since we don’t know the type of control or that they are correctly installed, I suggest that you pull the controls out of their mounting and check each control.

Thank you

please let me know if this is correct 

it is my understanding one Sonos amp can drive up to 4 speakers 

I have a pair of Martin Logan tower speakers and 4 additional (2 pair) ceiling speakers as well as subwoofer.

So seems I need two Sonos amps or a third party amp (7/8 channel) plus port

So two Sonos amps vs Russound amp plus port is my dilemma. Price difference is $300, which is fine if the two Sonos amps better way to go 

Pull one of the wall controls and give us a model number. If the controls are appropriate you only need one amplifier.

It would also be a good idea to pull a speaker and get its model number too.

How many sets of speaker wires are routed back to the amplifier site?

I would spend the extra $300 on 2 Sonos amps.

• Can’t say for sure, but Sonos amps should be better than Russound
  • Two zones instead of One
  • Don’t need to rely on wired wall volume controls (which somewhat defeats the point of wireless control.
  • Ability to connect amps to TV (can’t do that with a Port without introducing lag)

IMO, Ports make the most sense when you have a complex wired home theater setup you want to connect with a Sonos system, or an older system that you really don’t want to get rid of for whatever reason.  Using a Port as a means of saving some money on a multiroom audio setup, while saving money, ends up making compromises in functionality.