Answered

Turntable output through Sonos

• 15 March 2019
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9
I've ordered a Bluetooth turntable which I was going to connect to an Echo connected to the line-in on my Play 5 which is in another room.

Is this also possible as an alternative to Bluetooth? If I'm housing the turntable near my TV which has a Beam connected to it, as the turntable also has a built-in pre amp, could I connect to my TV with an RCA cable and would that then pass the sound back out to my beam via the hdmi arc?

I suspect the latter option is not possible but if not, are there any options for a wired connection through my TV?

Cheers
icon

Best answer by jacob_7 20 March 2019, 22:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

So, you’re going to send the music from the turntable via Bluetooth to the Dot, and use the line out on the dot to feed the line in on the PLAY:5? That’s pretty neat, although I do wonder about the sound quality, but it’s worth a test, to be sure.

But yes, your alternative would work as well. The Beam would play anything fed to the TV, assuming the codec is correct. In the turntable’s case, it’s just a stereo signal, so it should work fine, with the minor caveat that the TV would need to be on to get a signal through it.
Oh, but I’m not 100% sure about it passing back through HDMI-ARC. I know it would through an optical output. I *think* it should on HDMI-ARC, so it’s worth a test, at the least.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Thanks Bruce.

I'm no audiophile, it's more a nostalgia thing (but as always, could turn into a hobby!). I've read reviews where people can't tell difference between BT and wired but the wired would probably be a more stable connection.

If the arc pass through does work then it will be a bonus.

Cheers
Jacob
Would certainly be interested in what your tests bear out. I'm no audiophile or purist either, it's hard for me to tell that there is a sound degradation when I hop in my car (so I'm told about bluetooth)....

But the huge benefit here is that you seem to already have all/most of the parts, so it's not a hardship to do some testing 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
So I've tested this and it seems my TV doesn't pass RCA inputs back out through ARC but worth a shot! I have read that some TVs do support the feature though.

As for Bluetooth, it works fine via an Echo plugged into my line in on my Play 5. As I've only tried older LPs, it's hard to tell if any flaws in the playback are due to wear on the vinyl. I needed to set the line in to level 10 to get decent volume.

Overall I'm pretty impressed and looking forward to digging out more albums.
Thanks for posting back. I guess I'm not terribly surprised by the fact that the HDMI-ARC signal is only from HDMI inputs, but I did have hope.

You may want to try to change the volume on the Echo, it may affect the output that you have connected to your PLAY:5.

But I'm glad you've got something that works for you, enjoy your music!