Trade up problem - discount used from wrong device?

• 4 February 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hi. I have 5 Sonos boxes and registered them all for trade up. I then bought a new Amp and sold a Connect:Amp. The trouble is that my trade up credit seems to have gone from a different box (a Connect) and the Connect:Amp that I sold is no longer showing as an available credit. There seems to be no control over which box the credit is used from and I now appear to have lost a credit because the box I sold is no longer plugged into my system. How can this be correct? Am I missing something here? I thought that having registered the boxes for trade up, the credits would always be available to me to use. Is there any way to get it back?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

There may be more nuances to the scheme than I’m aware of, but my understanding is that Eligibility will transfer with a unit if you sell it or otherwise pass it on to someone else.

Once you have converted Eligibility into an actual claimed percentage discount, that will stay with your Sonos account - it will not pass on to a new owner.

There is a slightly grey area in the transition between two owners if you sell an item that is Eligible but the discount has not been claimed. There does seem to be a time delay, and I’m not certain what triggers the disappearance from the previous owner’s account and appearance in the new owner’s account.

The wording in your post is ambiguous - by “available” do you mean Eligible, or actually claimed?

Badge

Thanks. All 5 boxes were eligible. I clicked on the trade up link for each one so they became available to use in my account. I used 1 to buy an Amp - but Sonos for some reason used the trade up credit off a connect. I then sold a Connect:amp (replaced with the new amp) and 4 out of the 5 upgrade credits remained available to use from my account. Now one of them has disappeared - which I was not expecting. There seems to be no way to control which device credit gets used and they keep emailing me to tell me that they never expire. Very annoying if one has gone with the box I sold

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I would contact Sonos sales and ask them what they can do about it. What you have seen is not how it is supposed to behave (or at least, not how Sonos describe it).

Badge

I spoke to Sonos sales today. It was a very difficult call that lasted 25 minutes. She tried to fob me off with the terms and conditions and told me that if I hadn’t redeemed the credit it followed the box. She spent a while looking in the T&C but told me it was a long document and she couldn’t find the relevant bit. Could I get the box back? Quite how she expected me to identify this sort of think in the T&C small print when she couldn’t seem pretty poor.

Eventually I got her to log into my account where the box that I sold is registered and available for upgrade credit, I just can’t see it when I log in. She offered no explanation for why this might be however if/when I want to use the upgrade credit on that box I can do so by telephoning them. I took the precaution of getting the box serial number off her. Hopefully that will work when I next buy a Sonos box.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I must admit I’ve got some sympathy for the sales person, as it looks like a difficult situation. There will always be some sort of “grey area” when boxes change hands. I wonder if the person that bought the Connect complained to Sales that the box should be eligible for trade-up, and they changed its status on the system in response? I’ve heard people say that this can happen, though it has never happened to me.

If that guess is correct, the result is that Sonos will end up paying a trade-up discount twice on the same box? Maybe not financially good for Sonos, but from a customer service point of view, probably a good choice, as they end up with two satisfied customers rather than one happy customer and one annoyed one!