Too many Sonos's?

• 25 November 2018
  • 7 replies

Badge
So i started out with one Play:5 in my kitchen area, it sounded amazing, deep bass etc.., so i went and bought another one for my bedroom, my bedroom is huge and it didnt sound to great there so i moved the 2nd one into my master bathroom, it sounds amazing, then i bought another for our entry way, so now i have three Play:5's, all sound great, these things are starting to get expensive so in some random areas of my house i purchased 3 of the Sonos One's. Now i have 6 of these speakers and i almost feel like the nice clean sound i had is getting watered down, is it possible too many of these can actually cancel eachother out? Maybe i need a Sonos Sub? But if i get that i have no idea where to put it, i already have a nice 3 piece setup for my TV which isnt Sonos... decisions decisions...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
With a bunch of speakers playing in grouped or party mode you can have a poorer stereo image than with fewer speakers.

If you haven't run Trueplay on all you should do that, it may cure any frequency balance issues.

If you get a Sub it must be added to a room, either one or two speakers or a surround setup. When hooked to that room it will alter the sound of the other speakers so that the audio stays in balance throughout the frequency range. Moving it from Sonos Room to Room is a pain and moving it without changing the Sonos Room usually sounds bad as the speakers where it was are weak on bass and where it is have far too much.
Userlevel 7
Hi tommybayshore

I don't know the layout of your home or where you have the random Sonos One's placed. However, if you move from the Play 5 in the entrance to a Sonos One you will notice a difference...and well you should. The Sonos One isn't going to sound as robust as the Play 5.

If you have the Sonos One's for example in the corners of space A, B and C; but all three spaces converge into a center area (meaning you can stand in the center and have visual to all 3) the sound will be directional. Acoustics can be further compounded if the Play 5 (in the entrance) is somehow involved. Bottom-line your ears no longer have a focal point. As you move closer to one space the sound improves but diminishes as you move away until you start to move closer to another space.

Trying to cover large spaces and maintain a seamless listening experience can be difficult with Sonos or any stand-alone speaker. Those types of areas are better served with in-ceiling speakers that are strategically placed and balanced. Think listening to music in a department store.

Adding a sub may help but you would still have to decide which speaker or stereo pair to pair it with. IMO a sub is best used in a Sonos HT setup or with a stereo pair.

You can TruePlay each space; if you have or can borrow an iOS device, but your physical movement within the environment will still impact what you hear.

Cheers!
Badge
Good info and thank you, now one thing that is odd is the "TruePlay"... i have a Androd (Note 9), no iPhones here, when the Sonos folks came to drop off my last batch of speakers they walked me through the setup because i told them i had never seen a Trueplay option, they were confused when they saw me set up a brand new speaker and it never prompted for Trueplay, is this just a iOS thing or am i missing something? Thanks.
Good info and thank you, now one thing that is odd is the "TruePlay"... i have a Androd (Note 9), no iPhones here, when the Sonos folks came to drop off my last batch of speakers they walked me through the setup because i told them i had never seen a Trueplay option, they were confused when they saw me set up a brand new speaker and it never prompted for Trueplay, is this just a iOS thing or am i missing something? Thanks.Yes, you need, iOS for trueplayat the moment, perhaps borrow an iPhone, or iPad, from a friend and 'set and forget' the speakers where you want to put them in your room.
Badge
I can do that, but they should say "If you don't have a iPhone etc.. you wont be able to do this...", some type of flyer or something, im sure there are tons of Android Sonos owners that also have no idea about this... good to know though... thanks!
I can do that, but they should say "If you don't have a iPhone etc.. you wont be able to do this...", some type of flyer or something, im sure there are tons of Android Sonos owners that also have no idea about this... good to know though... thanks!
I think it’s because the microphone on Apple made iPhones are a known standard for the Sonos developers to then use to collect more accurate response data. With android devices there are just too many devices and varying standards of hardware (from very poor to good) to be able to easily cater for the different microphones within the Sonos software.

It would be better if Android devices were all of a known recommended hardware standard... that’s 'perhaps' where your frustration might be better aired as I’m sure that would assist a good many developers whose mobile software uses the in-built microphone.
Badge
I think it’s because the microphone on Apple made iPhones are a known standard for the Sonos developers to then use to collect more accurate response data. With android devices there are just too many devices and varying standards of hardware (from very poor to good) to be able to easily cater for the different microphones within the Sonos software.

It would be better if Android devices were all of a known recommended hardware standard... that’s 'perhaps' where your frustration might be better aired as I’m sure that would assist a good many developers whose mobile software uses the in-built microphone.

Ken, that makes sense. Thank you.