To SUB or not to SUB or alternative option?

• 26 October 2016
  • 13 replies

Badge +1
Hi,

I have a SONOS Playbar and pair of Play 1's synced up for my TV setup and have mulling over adding a SUB for a while now.
I do enjoy a full cinema sound experience so am keen to know if people think it's worth it as I find it extremely hard to justify the price tag of the SONOS Sub.
Is there a a cheaper alternative way of getting a subwoofer addon to my Sonos setup? For example, could I get another brand sub and then connect it up via a Connect perhaps to work in sync?

Just looking at all my options really.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11
The sub really does bring the set up to life. Well worth the cost. The film "Interstellar" has some bass that will bounce your house across the street.

If you go that route, please set the bass up correctly. You should only notice it if you switch it off - sounds odd I know!
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I was in a similar situation last year. Had the Playbar with 2 x Play:1's and thought it sounded great. The bass from the Playbar alone seemed more than adequate. But then I took the plunge and bought the Sub. Yes it was expensive, yes I hovered over the buy button for ages.

The difference it makes is huge, yet so subtle as well. Previous (and somewhat cheap) surround sound systems had me rushing for the volume down button when a TV program went to a certain advert or a music track came on. But not this setup, the Sonos Sub adds a superb and well balanced bass experience, no matter what you're watching or listening to. It is most definitely worth buying. Don't go selling a kidney or remortgaging your house or anything, but if it's within your budget, do it. You won't be disappointed.

If you go that route, please set the bass up correctly. You should only notice it if you switch it off - sounds odd I know!

That certainly holds good for music, but I am not sure that can be said for movies that have a dedicated to Sub track, loaded with effects.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I actually find the sub more critical to playbar setup then having rear surrounds.
Userlevel 7
For example, could I get another brand sub and then connect it up via a Connect perhaps to work in sync?

The Sonos Sub will be a very worthwhile investment - you won't be disappointed. No need to say more on that.

To your quote....Just for discussion as a " What If" ----That is not possible with a Connect. Maybe with a Connect:AMP connected directly to the Playbar via Ethernet to allow use of the Sub Out and that may not work because it may place the Connect:Amp in boost mode. Even if it were possible there are the sync issues to consider. So as a "What If" that's a very "iffy" proposition (pun intended - :8)

To be clear I'm not - by any stretch of the imagination - suggesting you even try that arrangement. Also, as you were concerned about cost justification for the Sonos Sub (which IMO is an excellent investment) think about the cost to purchase a Connect:AMP @ $499 - USD and a maybe adequate 3rd party sub @ $200-USD (assuming you find one at that price point) Total Cost = $699 for a patchwork setup vs. $699 for Sonos Sub that is fully integrated and guaranteed to work.

Get the Sonos Sub 🆒

Cheers!
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I am firmly in the "get the Sub camp". In my opinion, it is a virtual necessity to the Playbar and more important than the surrounds.

Further, if you have other Sonos devices in your home, the Sub may bring you added value. My Sonos 5.1 setup is in my family room. My home office, with 2 Play:1 speakers, is the next room over (and there is an opening between the 2). There is a HUGE difference in bass when I play music in the office zone alone vs in the family room + office zones grouped together. Assuming nobody else is using the family room zone, I pretty much always use the FR+office grouped.
+1 to the get Sub advice. All except the new 5 units are constrained by their size and cannot do full justice to the lower frequencies. And where play bar/play units are the system components, the only Sub to get it is the one that Sonos makes.
Get the sub. Makes a huge difference for the better for both TV and music.
Badge +1
Yes from me, get te Sub
I am in the same boat
I would be buying it for music more than movies. I currently have 2 Play 1's

Would the Sub make a real difference when listening to music?
Most reviews just talk about movies and it being paired with a playbar.

Thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Yes it absolutely makes a dramatic difference for all music and movies.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
I was in a similar situation last year. Had the Playbar with 2 x Play:1's and thought it sounded great. The bass from the Playbar alone seemed more than adequate. But then I took the plunge and bought the Sub. Yes it was expensive, yes I hovered over the buy button for ages.

The difference it makes is huge, yet so subtle as well. Previous (and somewhat cheap) surround sound systems had me rushing for the volume down button when a TV program went to a certain advert or a music track came on. But not this setup, the Sonos Sub adds a superb and well balanced bass experience, no matter what you're watching or listening to. It is most definitely worth buying. Don't go selling a kidney or remortgaging your house or anything, but if it's within your budget, do it. You won't be disappointed.

Don't go selling your kidney ha ha , good advice
Note that his post was two years ago....